Just weird or what???!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseb

Reaction score
I've been surfing the web all morning on how to make HP. I came across two weird tutorials one that is using Wilton frosting coloring and another using crayons to color their soaps. Has anyone heard of this before? Sounds like the frosting coloring would come thru the lather and the crayons would feel waxy. Let me know if anyone has used frosting coloring, because I have tons of it...I mean tons.

Just because it is featured on the Internet doesn't mean it is true. Many colorants morph in CP soap. Wilton colorants can be used in bath salts and bath bombs, but not in CP soap because they wil morph during saponification. I have never tried Wilton colorants after HP soaping. They might survive, you will need to try a small batch to make sure they will color the HP soap as you wish.

Wilton colors can be used to color the HP soap after the cook and many of them will do fine, but avoid the reds and purples that contain Red 3, because they fade terribly. Unfortunately, the prettiest reds and purples have Red 3, so that stinks.

They won't come through in the lather unless you use a ton. You take out a tiny amount and dilute in water before adding to your soap.

That was one thing I did like about HP soaping - the colorants didn't morph.

I've never used the colors, but the white is great, it's just titanium dioxide and glycerin.

crayons work but aren't recommended. they can bleed into lather, and you can't really be sure that what's in them is skin safe. you don't really use enough of it to make it feel waxy, but again i would skip it altogether

:razz: The only thing you need to post a tutorial, is knowing how to actually post it.
Need proof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOpZDRUJX2k

:mrgreen:

Poor thing

OMG! I have laughed so hard. Can't believe my daughter has not found this one. Wait it I show it to her. I really felt bad for laughing, but I just loved her reaction.

Lucky, most of the tutorials I've found have not been as weird at the two I've mentioned. It helps that I have several well known books for reference. Don't worry I'm not about to use crayons in my soap!

Totally off topic, but WHY would you post a video like that?? If I was doing a "tutorial" and burned my feckin' hair off, I would NOT upload that - but maybe I'm not cool enough for youtube :)

Nothing wrong with food coloring. They're FD&C dyes. The same thing that's in products sold as soap colors.

Totally off topic, but WHY would you post a video like that?? If I was doing a "tutorial" and burned my feckin' hair off, I would NOT upload that - but maybe I'm not cool enough for youtube :)

May not have been uploaded by the girl who burnt off her hair. She may have a sadistic friend.

One form of coloring that is very stable and natural too is mineral pigments.

Green---Chrome oxide
Reds and Yellow---iron oxide
blue----zeolite
White---titanium dioxide

Not at all effected by pH

May not have been uploaded by the girl who burnt off her hair. She may have a sadistic friend.

She originally posted it on facebook but I don't know how it got on youtube. She said she did it because she had forgotten about the video, then when she saw it later it made her laugh "hysterically". I was impressed with how composed and articulate she was on Ellen's show. I was surprised by how young she is and also impressed she isn't afraid to look foolish and is able to laugh at herself. I think she'll do well with such a great attitude.

She does have a great attitude!
:p I think I would burst into tears.
Already felt like crying when my bum long hair was cut real short for charity earlier this year.

All I can say is I wouldn't have the courage to post a video which made me look "harebrained" (har har...couldn't resist :lol:) so I admire this in other people.

Latest posts

Back