Jojoba beads - Anyone use them?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaney

Reaction score
I used 1/4 tsp PPO in a recent soap. The soap looks great, but they are horribly scratchy. I was thinking I should use more and it might be better since they would be closer together. Not sure if that sounds logical or not. The package say 1-2 tablespoons per pound, so someone must use these, right?

I really like the look of little specks in my soap, but have yet to find a non scratchy choice. Vanilla bean seeds look nice too, but are too scratchy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've found everything that makes speckles is scratchy. The gentlest I've found was amaranth seeds but they aren't very attractive.

I have the opposite issue - I love scratchy but everything seems too soft! I had been avoiding jojoba beads because they sound gentle, so I will have to try them now!

Have you tried dessicated coconut? I find that very soft.

I think jojoba beads work better in body wash or a scrub. I found them too scratchy in soap also.

Obsidian - I'm finding the same thing. I like a smooth soap, but like specks. I have used sandalwood powder and grounds adzuki beans that were not too scratchy, but I prefer nothing. I do like marigold leaves. They are pretty and only give slight texture.

DiddlyO - thanks for the recommendation of the desiccated coconut. Where do you get it? I think I have seen it at Whole Foods. Are there different ones? I wonder if you could color it and add it to give some visual interest. Does it turn brown?

If you like scratchy soap, you will like the jojoba. My husband could not even use the soap.

LSG - I know, I was thinking the same thing. I don't think you would feel them in a sugar scrub, but they would be pretty.

Jojoba beads are round and smooth; so they don't scratch easily, if at all.
But when your soap gels, the temperature might cause the beads to melt and deform,
losing their roundness.Then they become scratchy.
That is what might have happened to your jojoba beads.

I like the smaller beads in a facial scrub.

eucalypta - I did not gel my soap and i use small molds so I know it never heated much. They are just scratchy. Too bad because they are pretty.

I searched for facial scrub & found this old listing. I would like to make a gentle but exfoliating facial scrub.

Any ideas?

I just watched Christy Brinkley on Dr. Oz & she is promoting her new skin care line & using jojoba beads as a facial scrub! :eh:

I got some ground walnut shells to put in the soap I make for my mechanics, and they like it pretty well. It doesn't seem too scratchy to me, and it's very very fine, like a dusty powder. We really like it.

They wanted something exfoliating to get the grease off but not too scratchy because mechanics always keep hangnails, and that seems to do the trick. No one's whined, and believe me, my men are either extremely unpicky or extreme whiners, they have no middle pendulum.

Latest posts

Back