Jewelweed Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrottop

Reaction score
Hubby is pressing me to make a soap with jewelweed extract. We live on the farm and poison ivy is often a problem. I want to rebatch an unscented oatmeal and honey soap, adding the jewelweed extract during melt. Maybe 1/4 cup per 2 lbs soap. Tea Tree oil feels like the right EO. Anyone care to comment on this idea?
Thanks,
Carol

I wish I could help you out, but I actually have a question for you...LOL What is jewelwood and does it help to "dry out" the poisons (oak, ivy, sumac)?

Thanks

Rose

Jewelweed is reported to dry out poison ivy and Burt's Bees makes a poison ivy soap. I want to make my own.

Carrottop, I just looked it up and I guess we were thinking of the same thing. Now I am just trying to track down jewelweed essential oil...LOL I know it will have to be a hot process soap since you still want the properties of the jewelweed to be active, unlike in CP where there is a risk of their properties being destroyed.

Rose

Jewelweed extract is available. I remember doing a google search earlier and finding a source. Don't do any hot processing here. Have plenty of CP oatmeal and honey to work with.

I have nothing right now, starting all over from scratch so I will have to make a batch to HP and then add the eo. No biggie, but it will be an adventure since I never HP'ed any of my soap that I formerly made...LOL

If you find a place could you send me the link? I am going to pop over to the eo forum to see some of the places they use and check them out since the supplier I use doesn't carry it. It will definitely be a staple in this house since hubby does landscaping on weekends and usually gets small patches. Me on the other hand, well lets just say it usually requires a hospital visit and weeks worth of steroids to get it under control, Not fun at all.

Rose

I've made a soap with dried mugwort in it for my son to help with poison oak. He worked as a wildland firefighter in California and it was everywhere in the hills there! Dried mugwort is hard to find, but it did the trick for him. I used Tea Tree eo also.

Latest posts

Back