It's been years but making soap for home again.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piedmont

Reaction score
Using Cold Method at 115 F for lard and lye temperature for when to mix together. ( 5% Fat )

I have 4 pounds of lard, used a calculator that said use .53LB lye which I converted as 240.40 gram lye,

If I converted LB to G correctly, the calculator shows 16 - 24 oz water, I think the last time I did this I split the different to 20 oz of water not knowing what else to do.

Nothing else goes in, I appreciate anyone look this over. I never did this full time nor for business, just love the soap for personal use.
Thank-You
Michael

Last edited:
Using Hot Method at 115 F for lard and lye temperature for when to mix together.

I have 4 pounds of lard, used a calculator that said use .53LB lye which I converted as 240.40 gram lye,

If I converted LB to G correctly, the calculator shows 16 - 24 oz water, I think the last time I did this I split the different to 20 oz of water not knowing what else to do.

Nothing else goes in, I appreciate anyone look this over. I never did this full time nor for business, just love the soap for personal use.
Thank-You
Michael

If using 100% lard with a 3:1 water to lye ratio and a superfat of 2.5, this is what you need. Converted 4 lbs lard to 1814.37 grams

upload_2020-3-11_16-22-11.png

Actually, looking at that now, I might have to try an all lard soap. I have a good friend from this forum telling me that's it's wonderful soap and that I should give it a try. Looks like I will need to do that soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If using 100% lard with a 3:1 water to lye ratio and a superfat of 2.5, this is what you need. Converted 4 lbs lard to 1814.37 grams

View attachment 44461

I'm sorry I forgot to add I was going for 5% fat.

Actually, looking at that now, I might have to try an all lard soap. I have a good friend from this forum telling me that's it's wonderful soap and that I should give it a try. Looks like I will need to do that soon. :)

I'm not an expert, I've only made 100% Lard at Super Fat of 5%, it is something that I really like, even use it to wash my hair. Reminds me of soap my grandparents had,, so its a walk down memory lane and for me, compared to any commercial soap is luxurious! I even used take a bar to work to use because it doesn't dry my hands, and now with the virus I'm washing all the time. Going to make 12 pounds up for the long haul, I'm nervous because the last batch I made 2 - 3 years ago came out bad, but previous 4 batches were great. I miss my soap!

I'm not an expert, I've only made 100% Lard at Super Fat of 5%, it is something that I really like, even use it to wash my hair. Reminds me of soap my grandparents had,, so its a walk down memory lane and for me, compared to any commercial soap is luxurious! I even used take a bar to work to use because it doesn't dry my hands, and now with the virus I'm washing all the time. Going to make 12 pounds up for the long haul, I'm nervous because the last batch I made 2 - 3 years ago came out bad, but previous 4 batches were great. I miss my soap!
Just minor changes to water and lye
upload_2020-3-11_18-36-55.png

Hey thanks! I'll post pics when done. I use round mailer tube from post office, lined with waxed freezer paper. Hey if you don't mind, b how long should it sit before cutting when using cold process?

I don't do cold process only hot so I'm not sure. I usually see people here leaving CP soaps for at least 24 hrs, but I could be wrong and it might need longer.

I think I want to try the 100% lard soap. I love the creaminess of the lard that I've used in the past. The bars look soft. Are they? The ones I've made (not 100%, bu with lard) have been curing for over 6 weeks and they are hard. For some I added the sodium lactate to get a harder bar.

Hey thanks! I'll post pics when done. I use round mailer tube from post office, lined with waxed freezer paper. Hey if you don't mind, b how long should it sit before cutting when using cold process?
This may be to late but you can use it for the next time. It depends on if you force it through a gel phase and if you use any sugar like sodium Lactate. If you add sodium Lactate or sugar @3% of total weight and keep the temperature around 100°F-110°F for a couple of hours by covering it with towels, to hold the heat in. When I do this with my 50% lard recipe @3% super fat, I can cut and stamp the very next day. I use a very small amount of coconut oil in the recipe and it doesn't generate as much heat, so I have to keep the heat from escaping in order to get to a gel phase.

Here's a picture of first batch placed on igmur. https://imgur.com/TEL7SsF
It looks like you just put the lard in a mold lol. I love it, going to try 100% lard this week.

Latest posts

Back