Calculating cost of oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmg_soap

Reaction score
Dear all

I have been doing handmade soaps for sale for a while now, but I am having trouble with calculating the cost of oils that I purchase.

The oils are purchased in ml or fl oz. But my recipes are in grams. How do I convert the liquid measurements to grams accurately?

I used to convert it as in 1 ml is equal 1 grams but that is only accurate for water.

how does everyone else do it?

thanks!!

You can find conversion info online. Generally, olive oil is about 0.9 g/ ml. So if your recipe calls for 100 g of olive oil, you’ll need 100/.9, or 111 ml. Coconut oil is denser, at 9.24g/ml. So 100 g of coconut oil will be about 100/.924, or 109 ml. I don’t use Soapmaker 3 but you could make a spreadsheet with all the weights of each oil and do the math for each one.

You can find conversion info online. Generally, olive oil is about 0.9 g/ ml. So if your recipe calls for 100 g of olive oil, you’ll need 100/.9, or 111 ml. Coconut oil is denser, at 9.24g/ml. So 100 g of coconut oil will be about 100/.924, or 109 ml. I don’t use Soapmaker 3 but you could make a spreadsheet with all the weights of each oil and do the math for each one.
I think that is what I will do !

I just thought of another way to convert fl.oz. to grams using SoapCalc.

First, pour a cup of hemp oil (example) while weighing.
1 cup = 8 fl. oz. by volume BUT only weighs 7.5 oz net wt.
Enter 7.5 oz hemp oil into SoapCalc and hit Calculate.
The result is shown in %, Pounds, Ounces & Grams

So now you know that 8 fl. oz. = 213 grams (rounded)

1695405909630.png

Another thought: Only buy oils from suppliers that sell by weight, not fluid ounces. One thing I noticed is that vendors like Soapers Choice and Lotion Crafter have "net wt" on their labels. But when I buy locally, my Hemp Oil, and similar, is in fl. oz.

HTH :computerbath:

Latest posts

Back