it's been asked alot before: coconut oil %

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnm

Reaction score
i searched but couldn't find what i wanted. how much is to much coconut oil?

You are going to get as many opinions as people who answer. I use no more than 20% CO, but I use a lot of lard, so I don't need the hardness, and I don't like high CO soap on my skin. I see a lot of 100% CO bars with 20% SF.

There's really no right answer. It all depends on the person using the soap and what skin-type they have. If you can tolerate it, you can use as much as 100% coconut if you desire..

One of the soaps I like to make uses 100% coconut oil with a 20% superfat. And in my salt soap formula, I like to use 100% coconut oil as well along with 100% coconut milk as my liquid, 25% salt ppo and a 13% superfat. In my other batches, I use anywhere from 28% to 31%, depending on the formula.

Some people are sensitive to high amounts of coconut oil and don't like to go much over 20% in a recipe, while others can go much higher. The only way to find out your own tolerance level is to experiment.

IrishLass :)

why the high superfat when the coconut oil is 100% ?

Because coconut oil soap is very cleansing, it removes a lot of your natural skin oils which can leave you dry. Having a high superfat helps counter act the drying affect.

There's no such thing as too much coconut. :razz:

That having been said, for most recipes, I keep coconut at 10-15% maximum as I'd have to superfat at higher levels than I want to otherwise. There are exceptions.

Mathematically? Here's the rule I use. Take your percentage of coconut oil. Divide by five. If the answer is less than five, set it to five. That is your minimum superfat percentage.

I make a gardener's soap with 40% CO that I superfat at 1%--and test carefully for zap on each bar. But that's an exception to the rule.

As stated there is no right answer. I generally stick to 15-22% except with my salt bars and 100% CO which I SF 20% unless using milk then lower it a bit. I superfat my regular recipes around 7-9%

Latest posts

Back