Is this ok to post? Butcher and great news

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexymess

Reaction score
Free beef fat. For as long as I want. :cool::-D just have to render it. Has anyone else tryed calling a butcher or farmer and seeing if they could get some fat?

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to get my hands on some beef fat from local farmers.

There is one farmer in town who does beautiful grass-fed beef and he sells his beef fat for $1/lbs. This is cheaper than the price I pay for lard at Walmart, but there's the added effort of rendering it myself. I'm going to pick up 10lbs of it to try it out, see how I like rendering and how the tallow performs in my recipes (I've never used it before).

If I could get some for free I'd be a happy lady. Lucky you!

Lucky! I got some from Earth Fare grocery store - suet from organic beef. They even fine-ground it for me.

Sadly, they are closed now. My local butcher uses all of their fat to add to burgers and sausages. I have considered asking at Whole Foods.

Just an FYI if you get to choose....the "cleanest" fat comes from around the heart and the kidneys. That's what I ask for them to save when we butcher our cows. It's very close to odorless when you render it, and I've never had to "wash" it. I just render it down and strain it through several layers of butter muslin and it ends up pure white and odorless every time.

Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to get my hands on some beef fat from local farmers.

There is one farmer in town who does beautiful grass-fed beef and he sells his beef fat for $1/lbs. This is cheaper than the price I pay for lard at Walmart, but there's the added effort of rendering it myself. I'm going to pick up 10lbs of it to try it out, see how I like rendering and how the tallow performs in my recipes (I've never used it before).

If I could get some for free I'd be a happy lady. Lucky you!

Thank you. I hope the rendering goes well for both
Of us.

Just an FYI if you get to choose....the "cleanest" fat comes from around the heart and the kidneys. That's what I ask for them to save when we butcher our cows. It's very close to odorless when you render it, and I've never had to "wash" it. I just render it down and strain it through several layers of butter muslin and it ends up pure white and odorless every time.
I don't think I get to choose. Iam just so very happy I can try this for free. Soaping can get pricey even without the fancy butter and oxides micas silk oatmeal clay.
Ps love your signature.

If you can grind the fat (or get the butcher to coarse-grind it for you -- even better!), then you can expect to get about 70% yield from rendering pork fat and maybe a bit higher from rendering beef fat. That means about 700 grams of lard or tallow for every 1000 grams of fat. If you have to mince the fat with a knife, you'll get less yield.

If you are paying $1 per pound for the raw fat, that puts the price of the rendered fat at abut $1.30 per pound. That doesn't count electricity nor the value of your time. That's roughly the price of lard from my local Walmart if I buy the 4 pound pails.

I can get about 30 pounds of raw pork fat for $20 if ground and about half that if not ground. This low cost makes rendering reasonably cost effective.

If you can grind the fat (or get the butcher to coarse-grind it for you -- even better!), then you can expect to get about 70% yield from rendering pork fat and maybe a bit higher from rendering beef fat. That means about 700 grams of lard or tallow for every 1000 grams of fat. If you have to mince the fat with a knife, you'll get less yield.

If you are paying $1 per pound for the raw fat, that puts the price of the rendered fat at abut $1.30 per pound. That doesn't count electricity nor the value of your time. That's roughly the price of lard from my local Walmart if I buy the 4 pound pails.

I can get about 30 pounds of raw pork fat for $20 if ground and about half that if not ground. This low cost makes rendering reasonably cost effective.

Yeah my store bought lard works out to $2.10 per pound, so $1.30 is a reasonable discount. But free would definitely be better, hah.

I paid $25 for a 25 lb bucket of Armour Lard after Christmas. I would have bought more, but it was the last one til next Christmas they said.

I tried rendering tallow. Never again.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

I paid $25 for a 25 lb bucket of Armour Lard after Christmas. I would have bought more, but it was the last one til next Christmas they said.

I tried rendering tallow. Never again.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Oh no! Thank you I hope it goes well for me as well.

Latest posts

Back