Is this DOS?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuska

Reaction score
Is this DOS?

dos.JPG

just coming off the rack at 30 days. This is the first discoloration I've seen in 20 batches .. Ugh

I had what I believe to have been DOS on a batch of OO soap. It appeared as a light yellow, like the color you have. It did not spread, but it did darken to a more distinct orange.

I made them in shape molds not a log, and only one of the molds had the spot. It never spread to the entire soap.

I also had it happen on a batch of Crisco soap. Several of the shapes had this and they also did not spread though they did darken.

xyxoxy said:
To me it looks more like oxidation or discoloration due to a fragrance oil or possibly exposure to sunlight.

Thats interesting. How can you tell sunlight exposure from DOS?

I have had a bar with sunflower oil do something that looked pretty similar, after about a month it yellowed, and carried on yellowing throughout the whole bar.

Does it smell? Mine smelt like fried food. I would think if it smells, or begins to smell its off, if it doesnt it is discolouration as mentioned.

no it doesn't smell off. The bar contains co, op, pp, castor, and Shea

How strange! The times I've had DOS it's been little spots that are more on the orange side than that yellow you have there. I've never seen that yellow shade with DOS. Hmmm.

Same here. More orange than yellow. What do you line your molds with? Could be something on the liner or mold that made it look funky.

That log was molded in a WSP clear silicone mold.

This was one of the only batches that I added melted Shea Butter to after the batter began to emulsify. The idea was to have more shea butter as the superfat.

Just so you know, there is no need to add any butter at trace. The lye is still quite active at this point and it will take whatever it wants. There is no guarantee that your butter will end up as your superfat.

yeah I figured but it was recommended in a book I read and I thought I would give it a try to see if there was any difference.

Thank you,
Ken

It looks like DOS in it's beginning stages to me. DOS isn't always accompanied by rancidity, so it may not smell off.

Back