Internet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gramma Judy

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you would even be into soapmaking if there was no internet. I have been reading this forum and others for nearly a year and finally in April got my feet wet. There is soooo much information available and thank you to everyone that contributes. I don't think I would have continued if I had only been getting information from a book. I know some of you have been doing this since before internet. How much more has the use of the net broadened your knowledge? My grandkids are so lucky to have this at their fingertips. I sure wish I did 40 years ago. I loved writing reports and doing the research, but how much easier it is today. Thanks, everyone.

I started with a book and I think I might still be doing it without the internet... but I can guarantee you that I would be doing things much differently without the tips and great ideas and the support of the nice people on this and other forums.

My entire process has changed from what I first read in the book.
Who knew you could soap at room temperature without a thermometer? Or that you could pre-mix lye and store it?
Or that you really don't need GSE?
Or that adding 4 tablespoons of expensive oil at trace really accomplishes... nothing...

And without the internet I would have no way to order most of my supplies.

Good question!

I don't think I would be. If I had to do it with books and meeting other artisans IRL to learn the craft, I'd be sunk. I'm a little socially stunted, you know? :D

Even though I work parttime at a library and would have easy access to soapmaking books, it was only after cruising this forum for a bit that I really got started.

I'm not sure that I would be nearly as interested nor educated if I relied solely on those books. Talking with people who know what's what is a HUGE asset. :)

Jude

I started out with books from the library, but soaping books can only take you so far since they are limited to one person's technique or experience (which may be lacking in several areas or unjustly prejudiced in others). I learned so much more from the internet about soaping than I ever learned from all the soaping books I've read over the years combined and then some! :)

I suppose one could learn a good amount of info without the internet, but only provided if they attended lots of soaping conferences so that they could glean from a much broader range of soaping experiences from lots of different soapers than just a few book authors.

IrishLass :)

I'm not sure I ever would have gotten beyond the "reading about it" phase if not for this forum and the encouragement of these people. I can get lost in books and theory, but you all were showing me in real time that actually doing it wasn't anything to be afraid of. Thank You!

Back