Interesting - non-gelled soaps still soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine gelled, i also put some aside from every batch that isnt gelled. So, i get to see how different they look. Some are dramatically lighter.

Go with whatever works for you.

Having said that, I prefer nongelled.

Well,when the soap heats up it speeds saponification. With non-gel it still happens,just over a longer period of time. Hot'n'fast or coool & laidback-all gets there in the end.
:wink:

Those first salt bars I made the other day, I put into individual moulds and popped them into a warm oven (barely on - probably 70 degrees Celsius) for a while and then turned the oven off and left them overnight. Perhaps you could do that with your soft bars? :wink:

I never used to gel, mostly because I was making GM soap in shallow moulds but I'm starting to like it, so am forcing gel in the oven. I like it because I can use the soap sooner. :wink:

Ollieblue said:
And besides, isn't gelling the "true" saponification process?

That one starts as soon as the alkali substance and oils are mixed together and reacting to eachother. To gell or not to gell is just a personal preference. I prefer not too.

Back