Intentionally 'skin drying' soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why the miller soap has steric and beeswax in it, you would think that adding wax isn't very good for acne.

^^^
afaik, beeswax and stearic come under the category of non comedogenic oils.

Recipe on Miller page has high coconut % around 23%. Would it not dry the skin? Cleansing is 15 and conditioning 65. Has anyone tried it?n how much superfat to make it moisturizing? What if we superfat with neem oil?

Recipe on Miller page has high coconut % around 23%. Would it not dry the skin? Cleansing is 15 and conditioning 65. Has anyone tried it?n how much superfat to make it moisturizing? What if we superfat with neem oil?

23% is okay for me. 30% is my max, with a SF of 7-8%.

a 15 for cleansing and 65 for conditioning... looking good me thinks. for me personally, a 3-5% SF will be sufficient. again, ppl have different types of skin, i'm sure others would think that a 5% SF is far from sufficient.

SF-ing with neem oil... why not? you can do it HP if you want a particular oil to be your SF.

i personally have not tried this recipe.

I don't think he wants a soap that dries the skin. I bet he thinks the slippery feeling (from a non-drying soap) is the soap is not rinsing off. Zest tried to capitalize on this by advertising "use Zest for that squeaky-clean feel".

Make him a Standard Bar
Olive 50
Coconut 25
lard or Palm 25
SF 5%

I have had a request by a room mate to make a intentionally drying soap. What suggestions do you have to make a soap MORE drying to a skin? What oils or such would you say have the most 'skin drying' properties?

Hi, I'm the guy Shalisk is making this for! Figured I'd chime in real quick to explain a bit.

Ultimately, I'm the kinda guy who likes my skin so dry that lightly dragging a fingernail can leave a clear white mark on the skin. I don't like conditioning and moisturizing soaps. I've been known to use laundry detergent from time to time -- and being pleased with the results.

Finally convinced (okay, okay... pestered... *g*) Shalisk into making me a 100%CO/0%SF + pumice small batch. In respect to all the guidance that has been so freely given (for which I am grateful), I have dubbed the recipe in SoapCalc "Ahroun's Horrid Idea."

I'll be sure to report back the results in a few weeks when the stuff is well cured and ready to use.

Cheers to you, Ahroun, it is great to hear from you so we quit misinterpreting you. Every day on this forum we see how different everybody is from each other in our likes and dislikes. I like being reminded of it because I think it fosters acceptance in all sorts of ways. Anyway, I think it's great that you want to experiment with handmade soap -- even though you aren't the soapmaker! So often us soapmakers agonize over what we think people like -- if they'd just tell like you did, and then be willing to try new things, we'd get there faster!

Thanks for popping in, and I hope you'll stick around to answer the barrage of questions that are sure to follow. If one thing's for certain, soapers are a curious lot who ask lots of questions, and chatter all the time!

if i may ask, why do you prefer your skin to be so dry? your answer may aid in helping to form a recipe. Feel free to NOT answer if it is too personal of a question. :)

He does not tend to follow threads too long but ill tell him you replied :D

if i may ask, why do you prefer your skin to be so dry? your answer may aid in helping to form a recipe. Feel free to NOT answer if it is too personal of a question. :)

Personal perception. The drier it feels, the cleaner it feels. Whether accurate or not, when I feel oily or moist skin, it feels dirty or sweaty to me. Quite unpleasant. Dry skin though feels quite clean, long as it's not so dry it's cracking and bleeding. That would be bad.

Shalisk finally made up a small batch of the 100%CO-76deg/0%SF for me. I'm letting it cure for another week before I try it (as hard as it is already, I figure two weeks will be plenty). Really looking forward to seeing just how dry this can get my skin. If it works well, I might buy him some fractionated coconut oil for the next batch.

The solidity of the bar has little to do with how long it lasts. Cure time = longer lifespan. Or so im told :D

Personal perception. The drier it feels, the cleaner it feels. Whether accurate or not, when I feel oily or moist skin, it feels dirty or sweaty to me. Quite unpleasant. Dry skin though feels quite clean, long as it's not so dry it's cracking and bleeding. That would be bad.

Shalisk finally made up a small batch of the 100%CO-76deg/0%SF for me. I'm letting it cure for another week before I try it (as hard as it is already, I figure two weeks will be plenty). Really looking forward to seeing just how dry this can get my skin. If it works well, I might buy him some fractionated coconut oil for the next batch.

As has already been mentioned, when you strip all of the skin's protective layer of natural oils off, it works that much harder to produce MORE oil to try and regain its protective layer. To reduce this, use a less harsh soap. It does not have to leave your skin "moisturized" or oily-feeling, but it shouldn't leave your skin overly dry either.

My husband likes a 100% lard soap with only a 3% superfat. It gets his skin "squeaky clean" like he likes it, but without overly drying and irritating it.

Coconut oil and lard are the two most commonly used oils for homemade laundry bars. they both are very effective at removing dirt and excess oil. The coconut oil just has a difference of opinion with most people about what it considers to be excess lol.

Also, as mentioned, longer cure time makes for a longer-lasting bar with better lather.

BUT, your bar is 100% coconut, which is very water soluble, and dissolves fairly quickly with use, compared to soaps with lower coconut content. Lard on the other hand, does not dissolve as quickly, and can give you the squeaky clean feeling you're looking for, in a long-lasting, hard bar with good lather.

Shalisk finally made up a small batch of the 100%CO-76deg/0%SF for me.

100% CO with 0% SF? holy wow!

please do tell us how you like it. i am really curious :D

even with a 15-20% SF, i can still feel the 'very clean and tight' feeling at first. i wonder how a 0% SF would feel.

do you plan on using this on the face as well?

i also have an oily skin, esp on the face, and at first i also think like you, i want to get rid of that oil as much as i can. epic fail. my skin ended up being more oily at the end. nowadays, i find the oil cleansing method (yes, putting more oil on your face) works best for me, with the occasional use of a specially formulated facial soap that is coconut free. the sebum production is more controlled this way.

do you plan on using this on the face as well?

Planning to use it as my shower soap, which means whole body from scalp to toes. I'm really hoping it's as harsh as I expect. I'll be sure to post my notes on it after I use it. I'll probably do the first test with it round about 2014-06-08 or so.

Latest posts

Back