Impulse heat sealer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine came with a spare sealer wire.
Haven't needed to change it yet but since I don't sell I don't use mine as much as others here.

I just want to throw this out there. I was wrapping my soaps in shrink wrap for a while, but didn’t want to buy a sealer because I only make personal use soaps for friends and family. I had an idea to try ONLY the sealing button on my vacuum sealer and it worked great. I just pulled gently and evenly on the soap while it was sealing and it cut and sealed perfectly. I know they aren’t exactly cheap, but in a pinch, if you already have a vacuum packer, it’s an option!

I just want to throw this out there. I was wrapping my soaps in shrink wrap for a while, but didn’t want to buy a sealer because I only make personal use soaps for friends and family. I had an idea to try ONLY the sealing button on my vacuum sealer and it worked great. I just pulled gently and evenly on the soap while it was sealing and it cut and sealed perfectly. I know they aren’t exactly cheap, but in a pinch, if you already have a vacuum packer, it’s an option!
Exactly what I was going to try! You beat me!

Which one did you get? Does it come with replacement parts?
Linsfield. Came with an extra bear strip and silicone gasket, but no instructions. I liked it because it gets hot instantly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 11
Did you ever try vacuuming it?

ETA: I'm supposing you shrink it with a heat gun afterward.
A few of mine sealed with air trapped inside, but I’m sure it will leak out over a couple days, then I’ll hit mit with heat again before giving away.

I had a vacuum sealer, but the bags were so expensive threy were making it not worth save the food. Maybe the prices have fallen. Factoring in the cost of the sealer and bags (both of which will theoretically will last “forever”) the cost is $.08/bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a commercial grade vacuum sealer I would not use it for sealing soaps since you will just shorten the life of your vacuum sealer and they cost much more than impulse sealers. Vacuum sealers do not seal all bags and Daryl is correct the bags, vacuum bags are very expensive.

I’ve been using mine for soap sealing for about 8 months with no problem. Still seals food just fine. Most of the time they don’t trap air, but when they do, I just cut off a small corner and it shrinks down perfectly.

I thought of that and may try it. If I hit it with the gun again after that, I’m guessing a large 1” hole will open.

Yes. If you cut a slit, anything bigger than a tiny hole or corner, it ends up being a big hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are just sealing for friends and family then you can just wrap with saran wrap and a hair dryer on hot heat will work.

I poke my bags with a needle or push pin. I tried cutting a corner but it left too big of a hole to my liking. I would never use my food sealer. Too expensive to give it more wear and tear than I do.

Either way works -- cut a corner or make a small slit or pinhole. If you heat the shrink bag after making the slit/hole, you may find the hole will open up more as the heat causes the plastic to shrink away from the edges of the slit/hole. That's not a bad thing if you sell. People really want to smell the scent, and there has to be some kind of opening, however small, for fragrance to reach people's noses. If you're wrapping the bars for storage and personal use, then this point is moot.

Back