Ceramic Cookware Advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need new cookware and I’m wondering if any of you have used ceramic coated or ceramic cookware. I know I want nonstick because I get tired of cleaning the stainless. I don’t want Teflon. I have been reading reviews and it seems like the ceramic may not be that durable, so I’m hoping someone can tell me how it has held up. I need both saucepans and a fry pan. I’m looking at Made In, GreenPan GP5, among others. They are pricey, and I don’t want to invest in this blindly. Also looking at a KitchenAid set at Kohl’s because I have a gift card and it is a LOT less expensive. I really don’t need a whole set, though, so 2 sauce pots and one fry pan, while still expensive, is doable. Also open to other suggestions.

Hi @dibbles - I am a sucker for new pots and pans, and am really lucky to have a Meyers cookware warehouse near me that does massive sales a few times a year, so I’ve tried a lot of types.
Like you, Teflon is out and stainless is a pain in the wazoo. The KitchenAids I have are good, but I’ve found they don’t hold up as well over time for me.
I got the Gotham Steel Ceramic at Costco and honestly, they are the least used of all the variety of pans I have. There are very few things that do well in them for me. Eggs are the worst. I swear they use fake eggs in the commercial based on how actual eggs stick for me LOL.
I got an amazing Analon pan at the Meyer sale a few times ago that retails for $99, for $29. I’d buy 17 of them if they have them next time I go. It’s a dream to cook in. They have a ton of shapes and sizes, and this specific one is hands down my go to for every day cooking. Nothing sticks, it’s easy peasy to clean and the high sides are awesome. This pan is worth its weight in gold…. or ceramic 😉
https://anolon.com/collections/cookware/products/allure-hard-anodized-nonstick-saute-pan
For pots, my little ceramic ones are nice for a lot of things, so you might consider getting mix and match based on what you mostly do in them. I have an Analon one that is my go to for mashed potatoes, for example, but sauces and gravy are in the ceramic.
I’ll be curious why you get and how you like them. I see those Green Ceramic pans are on the Costco website now…. HTH 🌸

Thank you for your answer @dmcgee5034. I have an Analon cookie sheet that I lov. During my reading, though, it seems that while Analon is manufactured without PFOA, it does have PTFE in the coating. I want to try something that has neither. As I said in my first post, I really don’t need a whole new set and I think I will end up with a mix of different types. It is good to know you aren’t fond of your ceramic coated pans. Rethinking and overthinking and so confused and conflicted.

I need new cookware and I’m wondering if any of you have used ceramic coated or ceramic cookware. I know I want nonstick because I get tired of cleaning the stainless. I don’t want Teflon. I have been reading reviews and it seems like the ceramic may not be that durable, so I’m hoping someone can tell me how it has held up. I need both saucepans and a fry pan. I’m looking at Made In, GreenPan GP5, among others. They are pricey, and I don’t want to invest in this blindly. Also looking at a KitchenAid set at Kohl’s because I have a gift card and it is a LOT less expensive. I really don’t need a whole set, though, so 2 sauce pots and one fry pan, while still expensive, is doable. Also open to other suggestions.

I got a great set of inexpensive stainless steel pots at IKEA, believe it or not, and they are still holding up 10+ years later. That is definitely a good place to check. I believe they also have stainless steel frying pans.

I have been researching these 'ceramic' cookware brands lately as my granddaughter's mother has nothing but in their home & have found that they have just as many toxins as teflon, and often wear much more quickly, giving you an extra big dose in your food. They ARE the new teflon, and in many cases are even worse than teflon.

Cookware claiming to be 'PFOA FREE' can have many other related toxins in them, some of those many being PFAS, PFOS, GenX, PTFE etc. On top of that, when a substance's ingredients are designated 'proprietary', which these substances are, they don't need to be listed on a label, and we have no idea what in god's name is in it. Nobody does.

Fact is, no nonstick pan is safe. No nonstick cookware is safe. The only safe options are stainless steel, carbon steel & supposedly cast iron - although I have been running across some newer info regarding even cast iron which I am still questioning & researching because yes, I have cast iron frying pans. I will toss them if & when I find more information about this.

Please do a great deal of research before buying nonstick anything. This is an area of consumer products which is unregulated. Better yet, avoid all nonstick products & get a beautiful set of stainless steel pans. If they're a decent set - and you CAN find good sets which are inexpensive - they will last for decades. There isn't a nonstick cooking pot or pan on the market which will last without breaking down for more than a year, if that. It may *look* as if it's intact, but meanwhile it's off-gassing into the air you breathe & contaminating your water every time you wash it, no to mention contaminating every meal you cook.

Wishing you & your family safe shopping & wise, healthy choices ❤️

Cast iron is too heavy. I don’t know what I will do. I know stainless is the healthiest choice. It’s just that it can be such a pain to clean, and I’m tired of dealing with it. I have been reading that ceramic might not be what I was hoping it would be either.

Cast iron is too heavy. I don’t know what I will do. I know stainless is the healthiest choice. It’s just that it can be such a pain to clean, and I’m tired of dealing with it. I have been reading that ceramic might not be what I was hoping it would be either.

Yes, cast iron definitely is not lightweight.

What I do with my stainless steel pots & pans is, as soon as I've removed the food from the pot or pan, I put some water in there & put a lid on. If the pan is still hot, the muck steams off very effectively, which makes it very easy to clean.

If it's already cooled own, as I said just put some water in there, heat it for a few minutes & leave it, lid on. This also makes it much easier to clean.

Another thing I do is fill my sink with hot soap water & put the crusty stainless steel stuff in there, let it all sit while I'm doing other things, then go back to clean them, which is then very easy.

Yes, it took some minor modifications in how I used to do things, but I now actually find the change very easy to deal with.

I have also found that if I get my pan good & hot before adding food to it, the food sticks far less than if I start out with a pan that's not already heated. I think people have become accustomed to dealing with nonstick & throwing things in the pots & pans even before they have heated, so yes, minor modifications in how we do things :)

Forgot to say,. I have seen some very expensive stainless steel pieces in thrift stores for next to nothing. Pots & pans you'd pay hundreds each for.

Thrift shops are a great source for stainless steel & cast iron cookware :)
I just picked up an old stainless steel stock pot at a thrift store for $5. It is nicer than the calphalon pan I bought new.

I second stainless steel, after spending many hours researching options I decided stainless was the safest choice.

I like stainless saucepans. I think they were made much better years ago with thicker bottoms. Sticking doesn't seem much of an issue. The Revereware, Faberware and Ekco from the 1940's-1970 are great and can be found in garage/estate sales as well as EBay. Just make sure the handles are secure. You can easily order new knobs for Revereware. I do soap in my 3qt stainless saucepan. I think it is the best-looking saucepan I have. The interior always has a wonderful shine.

To bring the conversation back to @dibbles' original request for ceramic cookware recommendations:

My daughter really likes this one that she purchased: Greenlife Stainless Pro 2-Piece Frying Pan Set at Amazon. She can't use any metal utensils with these at all, but other than that, they've held up well, even with two tween sons who aren't exactly careful with things in the kitchen (or anywhere else for that matter, lol).

She also has some light-weight Le Creuset enameled cast iron pieces. They were a gift and are $$$, but she loves the non-stick enamel interiors. She has wrist issues, but these are light enough for her to get in and out of the oven without pain.

Good luck with finding what works for you!

Last edited:
Thank you @AliOop. I was prepared to just let this thread go because it’s taken a stainless only turn and I thought people were not going to want to comment on alternatives. I have stainless, I know how to clean it, and I know that - for me - it’s a big enough pain that I am looking for an alternate. I didn’t know that LeCruset made light weight enameled cast iron, and will definitely look into that. It’s very $$$, but it does hold up. I love my dutch oven, but it is heavy.

It doesn’t help the want for a right now fix, but I got my one and only LeCruset enameled cast iron casserole pan on a steal of a sale. With the holidays coming, I bet you’ll find sales, and then after, clearance sales.
I might have to pull that casserole dish out and make something in it, come to think of it… it’s been a while.

Thank you @AliOop. I was prepared to just let this thread go because it’s taken a stainless only turn and I thought people were not going to want to comment on alternatives. I have stainless, I know how to clean it, and I know that - for me - it’s a big enough pain that I am looking for an alternate. I didn’t know that LeCruset made light weight enameled cast iron, and will definitely look into that. It’s very $$$, but it does hold up. I love my dutch oven, but it is heavy.
Well, they advertise that they are the lightest weight (per given size) of any premium cast iron cookware that is available. I don't know if that makes them light-weight per se, but they are lighter than typical cast iron. From the Williams-Sonoma website, here is the info for the smaller and the medium fry pans, which may still be heavier than you'd like:
  • 9 3/4" Fry Pan: 9 3/4" diam., 1 1/2" high, 14 3/4" long including handle; 3 lb. 3 oz.
  • 11" Fry Pan: 11 1/4" diam., 1 3/4" high, 16 1/4" long including handle; 4 lb. 13 oz.

I love my LeCreuset, but it’s definitely heavy. I second the vote for GreenPan - I have a small skillet of theirs (maybe 8”?) that’s perfect for 3 fried eggs, and super light. I got it at HomeGoods so it wasn’t crazy expensive. For that matter - and I know this isn’t the topic of discussion but rather just a plug for the brand - I recently got a GreenPan rice cooker That I LOVE. Full disclosure, though, I haven’t researched the contents of the nonstick coating.

I haven't read all the posts thoroughly, so apologies if I'm missing something touched upon...

I've tried a few ceramic pans and haven't found one that lasted. I also have extremely decerning taste when it comes to my cookware -- and so am likely biased.

I use All-Clad almost exclusively. For my nonstick cookware, I use All-Clad HA1 Nonstick Set of 3 Skillets, 8", 10" and 12" | Sur La Table its relatively inexpensive compared to their other lines.

I am brutal on my cookware, and even my fancy stuff goes in the dishwasher. I am not precious with anything. The coating will get visible scuffs on the outside, but the inside cooking surface has held up to years of not-nice treatment from me and still is fantastic nonstick. The handles are comfortable, long enough to never get hot. The lids are SUPERB. And, if you know All Clad, I don't have to tell you how even it cooks, even in the corners.

You'll have to do your due diligence in terms of what the coating is comprised of.

I use cast iron and enameled when needed, as well as stainless when I really need a good sear, but 90% of the time I'm cooking with these pans. I even got a complete pot set to go along. I even stick them in the oven. I'm brutal.

I will say, the All Clad nonstick griddle did finally start to loose its non-stick-ness after about 10 years, but they've also discontinued it.

Be VERY careful with Kitchenaid sales at places like Marshalls, etc. Kitchenaid has unfortunately gotten on the Walmart-izing bandwagon and create their normal quality lines, and then ultra cheaply made lines that look pretty and sell those at the bargain places. If you find an amazing price on something Kitchenaid, then be careful and see it in person and/or check out the review on that SKU... they're hoodwinking the public by schlepping low-quality goods with their name on it.

Latest posts

Back