I'm so lost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carebear said:
Oh extra virgin is good for soaping - just kinda overkill for most of us. I do buy EVOO there - but we eat it!

Overkill? So, would the Grade A be a good choice? I don't hardly use EVOO to cook with, unless I am making a dressing or dip.

I choose grade A for soaping because it's at a price point I find reasonable. I'm sure EVOO is just as good to soap (tho some complain about color) but I cannot see the point in paying that much for a soaping oil. Others will - especially people who really focus on the "natural" "unrefined" stuff with their soaps.

Me - I'm willing to spend more for food cuz.... well cuz it's food.

It may help to simplify even more. For example - a pure palm or coconut soap.

Or, for example, if you have the same recipe with and without OO, and only one gets DOS, you would have easily exposed the guilty party. I often do tiny test batches to make sure I don't waste material if something goes horribly wrong.

Not sure about others, but I pamper my soaps a lot. As soon as they're cut and hard enough to handle (usually 1 week), I put them on tissue paper and afterwards turn them regularly on all sides to make sure they are well ventilated.

Don't know if that's relevant to your problem, but could be. Of course, I am rather new to soaping, and most of my soaps are still going through kindergarten. :D

Back