I'm doing it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hausfrau007

Reaction score
Just when I thought I'd make my first shampoo bar and researching a bit more before diving in, I came across some websites about not shampooing your hair anymore. Like, ever.

When I say not shampooing, I don't mean not washing. I mean, the intent is definitely to wash your hair less and less and using a solution of baking soda and water to cleanse your scalp but keeping the cleanings to no more than once a week.

See, the theory is that, if you stop using shampoo, your scalp's oils will regulate themselves to the point of needing as little maintenance as, say, your forearm.

The transition period can be challenging. There's a period of several weeks where your scalp balances itself and the hair will look greasy, but, according to what I've read, once you're through this nightmare, you'll have the most gorgeous, healthy hair that only needs the odd freshening.

So.

I've been on vacation for a week and a half and have only cleansed my hair once with baking soda/water and an apple cider vinegar rinse. Hopefully, by the time I go back to work, my scalp isn't as oily as it has been and has had a chance to balance a bit. I'm determined to pull this through, mainly because I'm curious.

Stand by for updates.

I did the baking soda/vinegar thing for about 6 months. It was definitely better than using commercial shampoos and conditioners. I have superfine thin hair, and early hair loss which I inherited from my grandmother. The condition of my hair improved, and the natural oils did regulate themselves, but I just didn't like the feel of it while I was using it. I decided to try some shampoo bars that I purchased (I didn't know how to make soap at the time) and for me, I like the shampoo bars better. I still only wash 1 or 2 times a week, and I find the condition of my hair is much the same as when I was using baking soda and apple cider vonegar.

I suspect the biggest culprit causing me problems with commercial shampoo is SLS, which is why both options work equally well for me. Everybody's hair is different though, so you may find one works better than the other for you.

I had read up on that, also, and have been considering it for a while.

The only reason I'm hesitant on going NO SHAMPOO is because I get seasonal dandruff. I know that a lot of sites/sources say that no-shampoo washing will cure it but I'm skeptical since I just had to switch from my organic shampoo to a dandruff shampoo recently.

Please let us know how it goes! I'm anxious to hear about your adventure and maybe even take some pics along the way?

Oh, how nice! Two replies and neither recoiled in horror and disgust!

I have blonde, fine, straight hair. The last time I shampooed my hair was on December 22. I haven't washed it until yesterday,at which point it was so greasy, it looked almost wet. That was an attempt to let my scalp balance its oils which I know may take a few weeks. Yesterday's wash was a baking soda/apple cider vinegar combo, and it looked squeaky clean. It still looks clean today, but I can feel some heaviness along the roots.

I know this is going to take some resolve to stick with. I love clean hair, and I'm the executive assistant to the president and CEO of a major Canadian real estate company, so I absolutely can't look a mess. Sigh.

I wash my hair with shampoo, but have only ever washed it once a week, so the natural oils stay in. The only time I wash it more than that is if I go swimming and have to get the salt out.

Lucky you! You probably have dry hair. I, on the other hand, have pretty oily hair with dry ends.

See, the theory is that, if you stop using shampoo, your scalp's oils will regulate themselves to the point of needing as little maintenance as, say, your forearm.

The transition period can be challenging. There's a period of several weeks where your scalp balances itself and the hair will look greasy, but, according to what I've read, once you're through this nightmare, you'll have the most gorgeous, healthy hair that only needs the odd freshening.

I know this to be true, at least as far as the scalp regulating itself. I worked with a lady with very, very oily hair. She had to wash her hair daily, no matter what. And if she was going out in the evening, she had to wash it again. She came up with this *bright idea* to use a harsh dish detergent to cut the oil. Nice for a week or two, but then her oil glands rebounded and her problem was worse than ever. Also, as a teen I tried to cut the oil on my face using a scrubbing-type soap with pumice in it. Again, nice for a short time til the oil glands rebound.

Yep the "no-poo method" is supposed to be great along with the oil cleansing method for face washing. These are two things that I keep putting off for one reason or another-mainly because I travel and don't want to give anyone trouble!

I love washing my hair. I love having CLEAN hair, but with my Mister being highly allergic to SLS, we had to switch all our soaps and shampoos (it's the reason I started soaping) to SLS-free stuff, BUT the more I read about shampoos, the less I like it.

I'm just trying something new, that's all. If it works, that would be awesome, if it doesn't, I'll go back to our all "natural", organic SLS-free shampoos. My lofty goal is to only have to cleanse my hair with water eventually. Like I said, in theory, from what I read in scores and scores of blogs and Internet articles, your scalp should need as little maintenance as the skin on your arm or leg. I'll see if that's true.

Today is the second day after washing it with baking soda on Monday. Thank goodness I'm on vacation this week, that's all I'm saying. My hair is heavier again than yesterday, and if my scalp is balancing itself, I'm unaware of it. I'm determined not to wash it until Monday, when I go back to work, to maximize the time my hair has without washes, and then I'll wash it again with baking soda and apple cider vinegar rinse.

Boy oh boy, I hope this journey ain't going to be too long.

I get awful dandruff if I don't wash with either H&S or a tea tree Paul Mitchell shampoo every day. Am interested to see how your experiment goes :)

I'm interested to hear how you do. I did No-poo a number of years ago and it was miserable. I'm really, REALLY greasy and my hair was really long then. I've been enjoying my shampoo bar but I did discover today that you need to wash your whole head with the bar if you want it clean. The front part of my hair is blue and I try to wash it as little as possible to help the dye last longer, but my front is a little greasy today. I know it's kind of a 'no duh' but with shampoo it gets so foamy that you can just rub the tips of your fingers there and it would be fine. Gonna be interesting to see how the battle of dye vs shampoo bar ends. :rolleyes:

sweethavenarts try making one of the natural shampoo bars that are being talked about. You will be quite surprised. I have dyed hair and I have been making as well as using my own shampoo bars for about 3 years. Because there is no SLS or other surfactants/sulfates/detergents in the bars my colour isn't being stripped the way it gets with commercial stuff.

sweethavenarts try making one of the natural shampoo bars that are being talked about. You will be quite surprised. I have dyed hair and I have been making as well as using my own shampoo bars for about 3 years. Because there is no SLS or other surfactants/sulfates/detergents in the bars my colour isn't being stripped the way it gets with commercial stuff.

Oh, I'm all over that kind of stuff. Like I said, my Mister is extremely allergic to all things SLS, and I've been on the alternative bandwagon for the last five years which ultimately led me to making my own soaps two years ago. I'm just taking it a step further. Going totally off the grid, if you know what I mean. 8)

Update: Today is Thursday. Haven't shampooed since Dec 22 and haven't washed it since Dec 31, 2012. The new 2013 has seen a very unattractive Esther, and I'm wondering if I can stay strong. My hair is greasy. Not a ton greaser than yesterday but still an unattractive, flat mess. I can't go to work like this (next week), I really can't.

Back