I was so pleased until...S.O.B.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was so happy with this! but then I put cling wrap on the top so I could put it under blankets to gel and moved the wrap. BLUR!!! Oh crap! At least it's just the surface but still, it makes me wonder how I can still be so dumb.

IMG_7602.jpg

I think it will be fine as well but I was going to cut this so the top of the loaf would be the tops of three of the bars. Now I'll have to trim it and I can't cut or trim anything straight to save my life. Gah!

It almost looks like a stained glass? Think that's what they are.. Like a non see through window with color? Still very pretty!
And I don't use Saran, done this too many times myself. I just CPOP for each gel now. :/

I like to have fancy tops, so I don't use plastic wrap. If my soaps are too tall for me to put cardboard on the mold as a lid, I use a cardboard box. I put down a towel, put a heating pad (set on low) on it, then set the mold on top. Then I put a cardboard box over the mold, and cover it with more towels. I leave the heating pad on for maybe 15-20 minutes, then turn it off and leave it for 24 hours or so. So far I've gotten good results, but I've only done a few batches like this.

they're very pretty and IMHO by the time you get them sliced and cleaned up, I doubt it will be even noticeable!

Your soap still looks pretty to me! Like a stained glass look. I have a piece of thick cardboard that I've cut to fit the tops of all of my molds (one-size-fits-all) and have wrapped it with saran wrap. It keeps the saran wrap from laying on my soap and it reusable so I'm not wasting a bunch of saran wrap. Plus if I want to gell I can lay the blanket on top of the cardboard.

Oh bummer. Its still very pretty though, even if it wasnt what you were hoping for.

It still looks great! Very christmassy!
And as said before, after a bit of shaving you wont see anything of your "mistake"

The swirls are gorgeous. I cut some styrofoam out of a spare piece and use that for a lid instead of saran, I have gucked up the top of the soap many times. I cut the styrofoam the size of the mold and double sided taped a 1 inch lip around it so it is raised up a bit in case I have a taller soap with fancy tops.

I don't think that will be noticeable once you slice them, at least, not to anyone but you. I like your color choices, those would make great x-mas gifts scented with peppermint!

oh nooo!! :(

can it be salvaged by cutting off the bottom with the melted saran?

THis one is now a hideous shade of gray- rebatched. The texture was terrible and there was too much oil. I made another one and it turned out well but this poor puppy...now the ugly duckling.

That is still some really gorgeous soap. We all do dumb stuff from time to time. Take me for instance, not too long ago I wasn't paying attention and added an entire extra pound of water to a batch...lol. Took me a bit to figure out what it wasn't coming to trace very quickly..lol.

Silly mistakes remind us to pay attention and that there's always something to learn in the sport of soaping.

I thought it was gorgeous too! What a shame you couldn't salvage it :(
I made some key lime pie soap last week (mixed Peak's Key Lime FO with their Fresh Baked Pie Crust FO) and it smells delicious! I colored a little bit of the batter tan for the crust and then poured my pale green on top.
BUT I wasn't really thinking about the vanilla factor and it now looks hideous!! Nasty snot green with a darker bottom :sick:
I can now say that I've made booger soap!

Last edited:
Pretty. Don't beat yourself up. Your soap will still be nice. In the future, wait for about an hour before applying the plastic wrap. This is what I do. I just cover my top with the wrap, it doesn't usually sink down to touch the soap but if it does the soap is firmer and less likely to smear. I have wooden lids to my wooden molds, I then just sit the lid on top and don't have any issues.

Oh Dear, I didn't see your post/pic where you say it overheated and turned gray. I must have missed something. Why did it turn gray?

There are no mistakes just learning curves

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Soap Making mobile app

Back