I made liquid soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryanything

Reaction score
And I think it turned out okay. I had a moment of panic but let it sit over night and it looked great this morning! Tried some on my hands and it feels really nice. I used a really basic recipie, basically falling David Fisher's technique. I used 70% olive oil and 30% coconut oil. I did a -10% lye discount and neutralized with citric acid. I added just a little less water to make it a bit thicker. Scented with vanilla vanilla from BB.

023.jpg

Bottled

027.jpg

Congratulations! Your soap looks wonderful. Liquid soap has been on my 'things to try' list for awhile, but I never seem to get around to actually doing it. Your pics are inspiring me, though.

IrishLass :)

Your pics are gone, I'm interested to see it. Liquid soap is another thing that really intrigues me. One thing at a time though.

Ooo, congrats on your liquid soap! What happened to your pics- I wanna see!
That's something I would love to try it too.

They should be back now. Silly me moved them to another folder after I posted the pics. Thans for all the nice comments!

Excellent! Liquid soap is worth the effort, IMO.

I see a Failor book on the table in your photo, did you use one of her recipes? She already has extra lye in her recipes, did you account for this or did you add extra on top of it (you mentioned you used a -10% discount).

Very Cool!
Someday I will try my hand at liquid soap, but right now I am having too much fun making bars and want to save something for the future.

fireweed said:
Excellent! Liquid soap is worth the effort, IMO.

I see a Failor book on the table in your photo, did you use one of her recipes? She already has extra lye in her recipes, did you account for this or did you add extra on top of it (you mentioned you used a -10% discount).

I didn't follow any of the recipies. I was using the book more of a general guide as to the process, though there are a few I want to try at some point. I prettty much did the recipie on David Fisher's About.com site minus a little water to make it thicker. I did double check the recipie in a lye calculator, using -10% discount (which matched the Fisher website accurately). Her batches are all 6 lbs and that was way too much for me to make a first time batch with. I thought I was only making a 1.5 lb batch (in oils) but I didn't realize you counted the lye water and lye as part of the "paste" size so it turned out to be more around 3 lbs. I ended up filling about 7 and a half of those 8 oz bottles, so not too much soap.

They look great! Liquid soap is fascinating.

PS. Love your backyard! The view out the window is awesome.

That looks great I really want to try liquid soap one day but I really need a few days in a row off to play around with it just in case. Plus I need a crockpot I don't really want to use the one I cook with.

Moonblossom said:
That looks great I really want to try liquid soap one day but I really need a few days in a row off to play around with it just in case. Plus I need a crockpot I don't really want to use the one I cook with.

I got this little crockpot from Goodwill for $2.50. It only has two settings, low and high. Seems to work for soaping though. I have a nice big fancy one that was $20 or so that I use for food. Definately didn't want to use my food one for this. Next project to try is HP a pumpkin soap.

Congratulations!! I did just what you did - read Catherine Failor's book, but then used David Fisher's recipe. I am very happy with his recipe and have been making it for over a year - dependable results every time. Not so happy with the 20 minute stickblending part - but the liquid soap is worth it.
Carolyn

Yay I can't wait to give this a shot this weekend

So glad to see this post, because this is what I'm going to try this weekend, along with at least two batches of CP.

Did you add fragrance to your soap, colorants? Or is that the natural shade without additives?

I'm planning on splitting it into two and making two fragrances. One mild scented for some scent-sensitive family and another with some real punch to it. Maybe a rosemary-mint? Or something zesty like that. The other maybe a mild chocolate or vanilla, something creamy. I'm also kind of wondering- if I add fine pearl mica to this, do you think it will sink? I guess only one way to find out... lol

Anyway, glad to see this worked out so well for you. I'm really stoked to try it out as well.

Back