I found a local goat milk supplier!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pug Mom

Reaction score
I am so excited! I found a goat farm in the town next to mine (about 30 min away...) and I w-mailed to see if they would sell me some GM for my soap, and she said she would! I am so excited!!!

Cool!

My uncle has goats that he milks and uses in soap.

He, evidently, feels he has a bunch of secrets, and is pretty stingy towards his own family (me). It was even a big secret where he got his lye. He had told my mom and sister, but told them not to tell me (nice guy, huh?).

That's okay, though. First off, I'd rather use powdered than the fresh (just from what I've read online, looks easier). Second, I know where he gets his lye, and I found it at another place for $2-3 cheaper per 2# container. And, thirdly, I've told my dad not to mention that he has a surge pump that he is not using. My uncle is milking his goats by hand. This pump would not only make his life a thousand times easier, he would milk his goats quicker, and would get more milk from his goats and keep them producing longer.

I find it ironic that he think he has all these secrets (he has NONE, other than where he got his lye), but yet I'm the one with the actual secrets :)

Jerk

Anyway, I'm glad you found a local supplier. Maybe you could trade soap for milk?

Good for you Pug mom! That's exciting to locate a supplier close by.

There is a candle company in a nearby town from me and I visited it last weekend, hoping to get some beeswax and FO's and tins for lotion bars. Unfortunately, they use soy wax and all their FO's are not skin safe :cry: Also struck out on the tins. They did however have some homemade soap and every bar was covered in ash. Back to online ordering - ooooooh I hate the waiting!

And, Salty - your uncle needs an attitude adjustment! I am so grateful for the generous people on this forum that are so willing to share helpful advice. I have learned so much on this forum; visited other soaping forums but always come back to this one because it's the best! Maybe you could share a sample of your lovely rosemary mint or sweet pea with uncle so he could experience a little envy :twisted: hehe

That is exciting Pugmom .

Salty I feel sorry for your uncle .If he read this forum for 5 minutes ,he would see how productive sharing and brainstorming is .Sad!

Kitn

Kitn said:
That is exciting Pugmom .

Salty I feel sorry for your uncle .If he read this forum for 5 minutes ,he would see how productive sharing and brainstorming is .Sad!

Kitn

Ditto all of that...

We're not competition for each other. There's plenty of good soapers and there is still demand. And sharing makes all our products better.

But I am curious..what is that pump and why would it make your goats give milk for longer? And Pug Mom, good for you!

now i feel really guilty about stealing your forum, pugsmom :(

with the pump, you are able to milk more milk each time, due to better efficiency than hand, and it gets the job done quicker and without tiring.

a goat, cow, sheep, whatever, will only produce as much milk as needed. so, by milking the animal to the same point every time, it is going to keep producing a good quantity of milk. not to mention, doing it by hand takes forever and just sucks (well, I don't care for it, anyway)

it's a device that has a container which has hoses and rubber cups that you insert the teet into. suction is produced through a pump in surges.

i agree, guys. there is so much to learn. i am the kind of person that would tell you all i know, if you gave me the time. which, i guess, is why this forum makes a great place for me :)

you guys are all awesome!

Saltysteele said:
now i feel really guilty about stealing your forum, pugsmom :(

with the pump, you are able to milk more milk each time, due to better efficiency than hand, and it gets the job done quicker and without tiring.

a goat, cow, sheep, whatever, will only produce as much milk as needed. so, by milking the animal to the same point every time, it is going to keep producing a good quantity of milk. not to mention, doing it by hand takes forever and just sucks (well, I don't care for it, anyway)

it's a device that has a container which has hoses and rubber cups that you insert the teet into. suction is produced through a pump in surges.

i agree, guys. there is so much to learn. i am the kind of person that would tell you all i know, if you gave me the time. which, i guess, is why this forum makes a great place for me :)

you guys are all awesome!

I was about to comment on the pump description, but decided that probably belongs on a different forum altogether. Sorry Pug Mom, I'll try to behave now.
lol-1-2.gif

Here in Ohio for someone to sell their goats milk it has to be pasteurized. I have to use powdered - can't find any locally. Went to a Farmers Market where there was someone specializing in goats milk cheese - she said they buy their milk from someone in PA. because of that.

Good for you Pugmom!

That is wonderful! I think it's great that you have a local supplier. This way you will be able to "know" the herd your milk comes from which will help you with knowing how much fat is in the milk - it's different from one breed to another and it changes throughout the lactation year - which will help you keep a more consistent soap. Oh, and don't forget to find out when or if she dries her doe's up so you can stock up for the months when there isn't any milk.

I'm actually jealous, I've advertised our goat's milk for soap during times when we've had too much and didn't have a single response :?

For-the-record machine milking is not always the best way to go (in case your new supplier hand milks :wink: ) . I hand milk and prefer it to machine milking for many reasons but as cwayneu said that belongs in a whole 'nother forum LOL!

well, to each their own :)

some people enjoy milking. i, on the other hand, do not. i grew up on a farm, so that kind of work is soo the opposite of fun :lol:

there are benefits in both ways (hand vs machine), that i'm not disputing. just as there are purists and the converse, in soap making. some would argue fresh goats milk is better, some would argue powdered is just as good and easier to use. however, i don't have experience milking goats with the machine, have only done that by hand, so i'm not here to argue that. (didn't have the machine when we had goats)

however, for my uncle, i KNOW he would love to use that machine.

that.... was my point :)

You should sell that pump on eBay, and afterward casually let your uncle know. (yes I can be evil) :twisted: Bwahahahaha...

How many goats is he milking - just out of curiousity. To my mind, you need to be milking a fair number of goats before the time-saving aspect kicks in - otherwise, you're spending extra time cleaning the milking machine!

I milk four goats by hand. And I wish I could find some soapers near here that would appreciate it!

he's got quite a few, but i'm not sure exactly how many of them are being milked at any given time.

you'd have to know him, to know how much it'd irk him if he knew, i knew how to save him the time and effort of doing it (he really doesn't like doing it). but, he feels he has the market cornered, and that where the dollar signs come in. unfortunately, he likes to charge top dollar for everything, but can't figure out why nobody buys from him.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back