Hrm, Maybe I will try this 7 oil recipe ..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalisk

Reaction score
I tinkered with soap calc, because I noticed a pattern, that I tend to get hung up on the numbers sometimes and it leaves me with the same old default oils to use unless I force myself to try somthing new, even then I tinker with it to get the 'numbers right' so while tinkering today I made one that isnt like my others, in many ways, but its 7 oils!

With 30% Avocado Oil as my base, I have Palm Kernel Flakes, Cocoa Butter, Mango Seed Butter, Coconut oil, olive oil (only 10% ) and some castor in there.

What you guys think? :)

I say go for but don't use too much coco butter, it can reduce lather and create drag. You really don't need both coconut and palm kernel since they do practically the same thing. but I've them both before with good results.

I'm the same way, I tend to have my lil cabinet of go-to oils and not much else. When I was starting out I would buy all different ones and fancy things but I didn’t see much difference and came up with 5 or so formulas that I liked and didnt play much after that except with additives/fragrances and rebatching.

Let us know how your soap turns out.

My all time favourite recipe has 7 oils, I don't really see an issue in using more than 3-4 oils in recipe. I have even tried 8 oil recipe the other day, wanted to use up some oils and it turned out fantastic.
The only thing I would change in your recipe is the amount of avocado oil. I love it and love the feel of it on the skin, but my soaps with 20% avocado oil are turning quickly into mush when used in shower. There's a plenty of oils in my recipe that make a hard bar, but not enough for that amount of avocado oil. I'm not sure if I'm the only one with that problem, but now I tend to use avocado as no more than 10% in a recipe and soaps turn to be less mushy.

Fuzz-juzz, have you tried adding sodium lactate or salt as a hardener?
(Just being curiours, I've never tried 20% avo except in a salt bar...)

I would be curious to try making a salt bar but I dont know anything about them

Fuzz-juzz, have you tried adding sodium lactate or salt as a hardener?
(Just being curiours, I've never tried 20% avo except in a salt bar...)

No, I haven't used sodium lactate at all, but thanks for the tip, I might give it a go. :)
And I'm not into salt bars, hehe.

No, I haven't used sodium lactate at all, but thanks for the tip, I might give it a go. :)
And I'm not into salt bars, hehe.

I've read somewhere that adding a spoonful (or so - can't remember exact values sorry) of salt to lye water will also increase hardness.
I'm just curious if you can harden up the avocado oil so you get all the benefits without mushyness... Hmmm...

I also have about 10 other things on my to-do list, and 10 boxes or so of soap to use up lol. So if you get around to trying this let us know if it helps :)

I've read somewhere that adding a spoonful (or so - can't remember exact values sorry) of salt to lye water will also increase hardness.
I'm just curious if you can harden up the avocado oil so you get all the benefits without mushyness... Hmmm...

I also have about 10 other things on my to-do list, and 10 boxes or so of soap to use up lol. So if you get around to trying this let us know if it helps :)

I will try and get some and if it works I will. :) I am low on soaps, so few more experiments won't hurt. My soaps cure super hard, I always cure them for months, I use lots of hard oils and butters, but ones with avocado oil last only few showers before falling apart. It really is disappointing, as I love avocado oil so much.

Back