How's this look? Trying to reduce CO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapGrove

Reaction score
Hi all, I am trying to reduce CO a bit in my recipes. I feel like it's drying on my skin. My hubby loves my current recipe but want to tweak it a bit. And I have never had any complaints from others. How does this look? I was using 25% CO before. Or should I bring it down to 15% and then make adjustments on the others to reach 100% . Thank you.

Avocado Oil 12.00%
Castor Oil 5.00%
Coconut Oil 18.00%
Olive Oil 50.00%
Shea Butter (Unrefined) 15.00%

That looks like a luscious and moisturizing recipe. What do you plan as your super fat rate? I ran it through the soap calc and your conditioning number is high. The cleansing and bubbly numbers are at the lower end, but still within the desired range. What you want in a recipe is up to you, or why would we be doing this :) I would love to know how this turns out if you try it. Personally, I think the coconut level looks good.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I would also like to know about superfat.

My solution to making soaps that were cleansing enough for my husband but that didn't dry out my skin was to raise my SF to 8-10% but to keep the coconut oil the same (just under 30%). Win-win.

Thank you everyone! I am going to do a SMALL batch at 10% with original recipe. I appreciate it! I will let you know how it goes.

Hi all, I am trying to reduce CO a bit in my recipes. I feel like it's drying on my skin. My hubby loves my current recipe but want to tweak it a bit. And I have never had any complaints from others. How does this look? I was using 25% CO before. Or should I bring it down to 15% and then make adjustments on the others to reach 100% . Thank you.

Avocado Oil 12.00%
Castor Oil 5.00%
Coconut Oil 18.00%
Olive Oil 50.00%
Shea Butter (Unrefined) 15.00%

I would up my avocado to 15% and lower the coconut to 15%. Sometimes you just have to ignore the values on soapcalc. I do several facial bars with high conditioning with low cleansing and suds that come out fine; creamy, gentle, and the bubbles are just fine.

Latest posts

Back