How to know if a soap is CP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaan

Reaction score
Hi! Its a little stupid question, but i would like to know if there is a way to find out that the soap we purchase is actually CP made from scratch or just m&p soap base mixed with colors,fragrance,etc.. i make both type of soaps,but when i see soaps from other sellers it is really hard to tell which type of soap is it..it is only after you use it,that you can feel the difference.

I am not sure, but I tend to stay away from clear "glycerin" type soaps that do not have ingredients labelled. If they had the ingredients labelled, I would just check that. And before anyone gets offended about me avoiding MP soaps, I have a lot of allergies. I want to know what is in the soap. If you don't label it, I don't buy it.

Propylene glycol is one ingredient to look for. But remember that some people do actually make their own M&P - in fact its on my list to do some day :)

One dead giveaway to me is lots of really transparent soap. I know that there are some who make their own transparent soap, but they aren't very common. The other is intricate embeds, details and patterns other than swirls. M&P lets itself very well to doing some visual things that are difficult in CP.

Aso, if you can get your hands on it, the textures are usually different. Most of the glycerin soaps I've messed with have a tacky, rubbery feel where as CP is firmer and drier.

Latest posts

Back