How to clean up Soaps: Drag Marks where inclusions, embeds and additives are used as

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutismArtisan

Reaction score
Hi All,

I mentioned this in another post, it was suggested I should start new thread with images.
So, read up and found how on ipad app.

My first image is of a Lavender & Lemongrass Soap, Using Lavender Flowers in soap and as decoration.

It's quite a hard bar, and quite difficult to cut after almost a day.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417449934.557896.jpg

The second example is Lemon Poppyseed similar to SoapQueen's Recipe ...remade as a gardeners or kitchen sink soap.
It includes Mica Lines & poppy seeds

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417450010.329666.jpg. View attachment 10871

Most soaps I can turn on its side and avoid dragging or scarring, but from time to time it just cannot be avoided. When making smaller batches as I do, it is frustrating to learn I have only a portion of pretty bars.

So, I am seeing if any of my fellow soapers have any tips or suggestions how to clean these types of blemishes.

Any advice, is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance.

You can try a planer with a really sharp metal blade, that might be enough to cut though the botanicals instead of dragging them. I've found using a knife and not wire helps a bit too.

What are you using to cut your soaps? I have a wire cutter and rarely get drag marks or smearing. When I do I generally just need to tighten my wires a bit. However, if you are putting botanicals in the soap you may get them regardless as they are hard little bits. If I get marks I will usually just give them a bit of a polish.

What are you using to cut your soaps? I have a wire cutter and rarely get drag marks or smearing. When I do I generally just need to tighten my wires a bit. However, if you are putting botanicals in the soap you may get them regardless as they are hard little bits. If I get marks I will usually just give them a bit of a polish.

I agree. Wire cutter is the way to go.

I have the same problem with dragging marks with calendula petals...
But for the second problem, I managed to get the draggings of a clay made pencil line off rubbing the bar softly with a wet piece of cloth. Maybe you can try that, I hope it helps...

I think it's pretty darn hard not to have drag marks when using botanicals, oatmeal, etc. Wire cutters may possibly lessen the effect. But it's handmade soap, it's not meant to look "factory perfect". Polishing could help, but if you have a lot of soap, that's a lot of extra work. I get drag marks in my oatmeal soap, but I recently started grinding the oatmeal to a fine powder, and they disappeared. I actually started adding some chunkier oatmeal back into the mix, because I like to be able to see it, and the drag marks don't bother me. The smaller the pieces of whatever you are adding the smaller the drag marks should be. Maybe you could learn to embrace the imperfections? I think your soap is lovely.

I can't help with the marks from the inclusions, but I have good results with smeared colors by using alcohol and a piece of nylon pantyhose, rubbing gently in the direction of the pencil line. I try to do it before the soap is completely cured.

I make my drag lines less harsh by washing the soap after its cured, a nudge with a nylon scrubbie helps too.

Wow, thank you a lot of great advice.

I do understand they are handmade, but I am trying to avoid the little sharp bits don't puncture the shrink-wraps I use to wrap my soaps.

I currently use a blade cutter (I have a large knife too) similar to image here... Mine is 1.25 inch bar, to allow for curing, shrinkage, and trimming.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417542260.239493.jpg

My cheese board wire broke, and hubby is tired of me pinching his guitar strings. but wasn't able to keep cuts straight or equal...as soap loaves have a life of their own sometimes.

Since, I am in the UK I have yet to find a wire cutter within my budget...and have never seen a planer here either.

The ones from USA or overseas become very expensive once our customs and tax office add their fees (I was quoted £35 gbp for customs fees, or almost $80 usd on top of cost and shipping of a single string wire cutter).

If, anyone can point me in a direction where they can be bought at a reasonable price in UK, it would be greatly appreciated.

Santa, has my wishlist...so, fingers crossed I have been good enough this year... Lol My Stepmom, in California has offered to receive and send it to me.

Latest posts

Back