How much did you make the first time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still make more or less the same size batches as when I started - roughly 2lb's, I weigh mine in grams (more accurate imho) which roughly equates to 900 grams.One of my other molds holds slightly more so I make a 1kilo (1000 grams) batch for that one. :)

My first batch was about 3 lbs but I didn't know about sizing down and was just following a recipe online. It also had a lot of Canola oil in it. Surprisingly it came out quite well and a year later the soap is really good and has no DOS.

My first batch was 1 lb (16oz). And i still only do 1 lb batches now too. Never did anything larger but ive been soaping less than a year and am still in the experimental stage :D

The smallest I'm comfortable making is a pound to a pound and a half.

I just got a dozen of the one-ounce sampler-sized FOs from Nature's Garden. I checked their info, and for most of them, their recommendation for usage rates is about 5%. And for a pound batch, that would be .8 of an ounce.

As I am really not interested in having a dozen teeny bottles with teeny amounts of FO left over, I'm going to resize my recipe so I can use the entire one ounce amount, which will mean a 1.25 pound batch of soap.

Anita

My first batch was huge!! Probably close to 5 lbs. I got lucky and it turned out good, but I'd never suggest a first batch to be too big simply because you could waste a lot of expensive oils. But I think it would also make measuring hard if you tried to go too small.

Back