How much cocoa powder should I use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InNae

Reaction score
My wife loves the soap that you can get at Bath and Body works around Christmas time called Twisted Peppermint. I want to try and make some bars that smells close to it. I'm hoping that I can get some fragrance oil for the chocolate, but if I can't how much Cocoa Powder (or would something else that I could get locally work better) would be a typical usage for a light chocolate smell. Weights are best for me. I'm a chemist and table/teaspoons are just foreign to me. :Kitten Love: Peppermint is the primary scent, but there is some chocolate. Thanks for the help.

InNae

I've never gotten any trace of a chocolate smell from the cocoa I've used in my soap. You'd have to add a chocolate fragrance, as lsg explains, to actually get the scent.

I have used cocoa as a pencil line -- just dust the surface of the soap lightly with powdered chocolate.

I have also used cocoa as a brown accent color. I have mixed anywhere from 2 g to 10 g per about 200 g soap batter. The 10 g dose is a dark chocolate brown, but you take the risk of brown lather if a lot of the soap is colored that dark. The 2 g dose is a pale "chocolate milk" color.

At either extreme ... no smell. Just color.

Last edited:
Raw cocoa butter does add a chocolatey smell but it fades after a few weeks.

To colour, I use 5g cocoa powder to colour 1/3 of a 1400g of oil recipe. Doesn't colour the lather, but it's a nice medium brown.

Unfortunately the cocoa poweder will not smell like chocolate in soap. I do use it for a pencil line as well as to make brown in several of my soaps. I use unrefined cocoa butter but don't notice a chocolate smell at at 10%.

Back