How many knitters?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried knitting many years ago but I dont have the patience to bobble two needles. I cant do amazing things with a crochet hook.

Another knitter here! Been knitting ohhh, about 9 years now. Originally learned so I could knit diaper covers for my babies (we used cloth), then branched out from there. I have a horrible time trying to knit clothes, so I stick to accessories and blankets. Both of my grandmothers did crochet, and I am just now deciding I would like to learn that as well, so I bought a few books and crochet hooks to get me started. Now all I need is the motivation :lol:

YouTube. If you lack motivation, go check out the Cast Off Crew and all those lovely things they make. Of course, it might result in ADHD type symptoms. :D

I tried knitting many years ago but I dont have the patience to bobble two needles. I cant do amazing things with a crochet hook.

I am ambidextrous, and can't manage those two slippery needles. I do, however, ADORE loom knitting. And I am working on learning how to cable knit on the looms.

I am ambidextrous, and can't manage those two slippery needles. I do, however, ADORE loom knitting. And I am working on learning how to cable knit on the looms.

So am I....lol. I never tried a loom. I got to caught up with crocheting.

I have been crocheting for about 25 years and knitting for about 10. I mostly prefer to crochet, but I do love knitting hats and dishcloths. I also like making felted cat toys.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1395325019.031950.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1395325037.241358.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1395325085.237200.jpg

Hey knitters .. I've got some perfectly good, but very ugly round soaps and was thinking of crocheting some scrubbies to put over them. Any thoughts on best yarn for scrubby type covers?

I have made soap savers before and used cotton worsted weight yarn. It is durable and not too harsh on the skin.

I was thinking about that and wouldn't the cotton hold too much water? My knit cotton dishcloths take forever to dry. I was leaning toward a synthetic for that reason. Anyone tried both materials for their soap sleeve?
Edit: I may have to do a sidebyside comparison when life slows down just a titch.

I just made some soap saver/scrubbie type things and used tulle. I bought a roll the other day, and used my rotary cutter to cut strips right on the roll through the plastic wrap. Works a charm. Does not hold moisture, and lathers beautifully. I don't know about long term durability, though. Just make a soap saver bag with whatever pattern you have been using. I did use cotton yarn for the drawstring.

I don't have any bamboo yarn. And considering that it has taken me all week to gather the majority of my yarn into one location, it will be a while before I buy more. Anyway, needless to say, I have too much yarn.

It would be lovely if you could try it and let us know, though, and I could add it to my "things to try" book.

Seriously. I have way too much yarn. The problem is that it is all the wrong weight. So, I still have to go buy yarn to make a hat for someone.(beats head against wall) The good new(or the bad, depending on how you look at it), is that the winter weight yarns are going on sale now. And that is what I need.

But I need LOTS of small projects to soak up all this mis-matched yarn I have to make room for soaping and other craft stuff.

I'm no good with knotting and really feel drawn to learn to crochet but can't figure out a pattern for anything I can work a knifty knitter loom though and was hoping to make some leg warmers this week :)

Those looms are awesome! I just love them. I can go so fast! I made 5 hats in 2.5 days when I first got mine, LOL.

I have made soap savers on the bloom loom using tulle and then cotton thread for the drawstring.

I also make water bottle "cozies" that hook to a purse or something with a carabiner. Keeps hands free when travelling or whatever. Also keeps the sweat off the bottles out of purses, backpacks, etc. Those are super fast worked on a bloom loom. The round 12 peg one. I just use cotton yarn and do a drawstring cast on. Then work it with e-wraps until it is about where the bottle starts getting skinnier. Then I crochet the piece off the loom, and do a row of single crochet over a pony tail holder elastic. Then do a row of single crochet and make a loop with 15 chain, then single crochet over those. Hook the tail of the strap into the body, and finish the top row with single crochet. Then just hook a carabiner into the strap and slide the bottle into the cozy by stretching open the elastic. Makes a pretty net type holder, especially when done in transitional yarn.

Jenfrat what pattern did you use for the soap sack? Also how did you do the drawstring closure?

Back