How do -you- grind?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraHoosier

Reaction score
I have used a coffee bean grinder to grind up any dried herbs I wanted to add to any soap I make and it works great. Problem is it's not easy to really clean it out well. You can't put liquid in it so you can't soak the "bowl" ,for lack of a better term, and while using a damp paper towel helps even if I followed up by taking the vacuum cleaner's wand attachment to it I can -still- find bits of what ever herb I last used in there.

The reason I'm trying to either find a better way to grind them or a better way of cleaning the bean grinder is because of cross contamination. The reason cross contamination came to mind is that my mother-in-law had a strong asthma reaction to the chamomile and calendula soap I gave her and we had to switch it out for an unscented goat's milk. The soap had infused oils but also I add some of the herbs ground up for eye appeal. Cleaning out the grinder after that one was a nightmare because the calendula went to powder in a blink.

I have a mortar and pestle but grinding them by hand isn't always possible with my physical limitation. Any ideas for better cleaning in between batches?

I had the same problem as you, but I found a way to clean mine over the holidays. I love chai, you see, and I make my own homemade masala chai tea bags by grinding up the whole spices in my coffee grinder and filling empty tea bags with the mix. The problem is that it leaves behind a lot of residue that damp paper towels just can't get to. An idea popped into my head to use my natural-bristled baster brush. The bristles are nicely stiff enough to get the job done beautifully. I use it dry (don't wet it), and I brush all over the place inside the grinder. It's nice because the bristles are able to get into all those nooks and crannies that paper towels just can't reach. Then I tip the coffee grinder upside down and brush all the residue out. Then I take a damp paper towel and finish it off. It works great.

IrishLass :)

Do you have a grinding grinder or one with a rotating blade ? Last one is easier to clean, but I've always wondered if it isn't less effective.

Oooh great idea indeed, IrishLass! I might have a stiff bristled, new, paint brush that might fit the bill too. Thanks!

Fragola - It has a blade the spins. I can best describe it that it reminds me of airplane wings with the tips turned up at both ends. It works great :D

There's another technique - which was described in a cooking show, and helps clean up the smells: grind a neutral "substance" (toast bread or semolina flour).

Fragola said:
There's another technique - which was described in a cooking show, and helps clean up the smells: grind a neutral "substance" (toast bread or semolina flour).

Great idea!

IrishLass :)

I have a Kitchenaid model that has a removable SS bowl that's DW safe. Have had it for a few years so not sure if they still produce that style.

I use a Magic Bullet, it grinds beautifully, has multiple jars, lids and blades and everything is dishwasher safe.

I keep one in the soap kitchen and another one for smoothies in my regular kitchen. It might be my favorite appliance, at least the most used one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uncooked white rice does a good job cleaning out your spice grinder. Put a spoonful or two of rice in the grinder and shake while grinding. Repeat with fresh rice until the ground rice is still white.

I also use the Magic Bullet, comes with two sets of blades, the cross blades and flat blades, which I use to grind coffee and pretty much anything I want to toss in my soap. I love mine, use it daily...got to be one of the best Christmas gifts I've ever recieved.

Latest posts

Back