How cost effective are your batches?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't make a very cost-effective palm oil soap. The kind of palm oil I would want to use (sustainable and eco-harvested) would cost me a fortune so I don't. I just use lard and no fancy oils. Olive oil in itself is luxurious and I do use that at 22%. The other liquid oils are castor and soybean. I use pko and coconut because coconut oil is sure getting up there. Cheaper than that, I can't really fathom.

I only make Goatmilk Soaps but I don't pay for the goats milk at all - I make every now and then, a few logs for the woman I get the goats milk from. I make in 2 kg batches and pour into round PVC tube moulds which hold 1 kg. This beautiful lady I get my goats milk from is president of the goat club, so the soaps I make for her, she then either sells with the money going back into the goat club or gives soaps away for the goat club. Even if you don't make goats milk soaps, would there be some way you could work out some kind of barter system where you pay for an ingredient with soap (??) - say if you make a natural soap with Avocado or what other ingredients - do a deal with the supplier no matter how small that supplier is. Perhaps making a Coffee Soap and doing a deal the a coffee shop or making a Honey Soap again a deal with a Bee Keeper ?? Just a thought.

Back