How come no one puts where they are from?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapy Gurl

Reaction score
Now I know about 1/3 (maybe less) people put there actual locations on there profile. I don't get it, it's not my city, just my state. It is really confusing, I don't even know what continent people are on. When someone talks about something, not knowing where they are makes it harder. I understand privacy and all that, but we have screen names. Anyone shed some light on why they dont list where they are from?

I don't get it either, guess they just want to be incognito. 8) It would help for questions like, 'where is the best place to get this or that'. I've given recommendations only to have the person tell me that they're not in the US.

Tell us where you're at people! Enquiring minds want to know!

i put mine, i think people are worried (and sometimes rightly so) about internet privacy.

I've got mine on here, I'm happy to say where I'm from and share my fb profile...there's not many aussies on here (compared to the US), so it's good for us to know who we are so we can discuss suppliers, (well the few that we have)

maya said:
internet privacy.

yes, this, I figure it's nunya! although if you read any of my posts or have been in swaps with me then a lot of people know where I'm from anyway.

maya said:
internet privacy

Internet privacy is a concern of mine, too. That's why I don't do Facebook or Twitter, etc..

I don't mind saying I'm from the USA (no, I'm not located in Ireland in spite of my username :wink: - but my great grandparents were), and in some of my posts I have narrowed the field down even more to disclose the general or regional area of the USA that I reside in, but that's as far as I'm comfortable to go on the public part of the forum.

IrishLass :)

Perfectly comfortable posting my location here.
I grew up in the military and though I respect people's desire for privacy, I honestly believe that our perceptions about privacy are often misplaced; there is no such thing anymore, save that which we choose to give each other.

Privacy is not something you CAN protect, but it IS something we can and SHOULD, for others, RESPECT.

pommies?

I would be happy if people just put their country, I can't remember from person to person even if they say in a post. :oops:

My apologies for being obscure with my location.

I am in Far North Queensland... near to the top of Australia on the east coast. Tropical paradise is how I think about it.

Sharna

While I understand that some people may not want to disclose their location, I'm pretty sure that anyone tech savvy could trace my IP address or something anyway.

Besides, I'm always interested to see where others are from, and to spot my fellow Europeans - it does help with the 'where can I get supplies' type questions, as well as weights and measures etc.

Anyway, you all give away what continent you're on by how you spell mould/mold :lol:

Latest posts

Back