Honey in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sugars in the honey help give some nice bubbles.
Also, I've noticed that when I add honey at trace, their is a light sweet scent to my soap.

I love the extra bubbles and the smell from the honey soap. I think (just my opinion) that maybe the honey adds a conditioning factor - my skin just feels smoother when I use it and I never have to add lotion afterward.

You didn't ask about how much to use, but I'll share that I learned a lesson the hard way on my last batch of honey soap (and it was a double batch, too!). I've always used 1/2 oz. of honey ppo and that's always worked great. With this last batch, the honey kind of just kept dripping out and I thought oh, what the heck, it'll be fine. I usually use a total of 4 oz. in a double batch like that but this was closer to 5 oz. total. So now I have some really pretty honey yogurt soap with a river of honey running through it! I wouldn't have thought that much extra honey would matter but it did. Pooled honey was in every single bar in both molds! I'll have to rebatch them. Others may use more honey and have good results, but I'll be sticking closely to the 1/2 oz. ppo from now on.

I love adding honey to all my soap. I prefer it to sugar for extra bubbles because I like the 'natural' factor of using honey. Also, I use local honey from local apiaries so its not that store bought heavily processed stuff.

It adds extra bubbles to the lather and honey is a natural humectant so it helps skin retain moisture. Its also a natural preservative so I know it will help stabilize my oils.

Most of all, I just like the way a honey soap feels on my skin. It makes it softer and I can tell the difference in the lather. Much creamier and bubblier.

Do you warm up the honey slightly before adding at trace?

I heat a couple of tablespoons of water in the microwave and stir the honey into the warm water. I add it to my soap at trace.

Latest posts

Back