Hi from SOMD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rains Mirage

Reaction score
I am Leeann from the boonies of Southern Maryland. I really mean the boonies. we are surrounded by farms, have an Amish community up the road and a couple old cities and prison type things. I live 5 miles from Historic St. Mary's City, the first capital and about 30 mins from Point Lookout where in the Civil War, the Union used it as a Prison Camp for captured Confederates to be housed. My dad re-enacts down there a lot. this area of SOMD is steeped in history.

I am a 29 year old University of Phoenix BSIT student have completed my AA at the UoP's Community college last Feb. I am due to finish my BSIT in Software Engineering early next April and then take a much deserved Vaca and then go into my MIS.

I am a multi purposed crafter. I started learning at age 5 to sew and then through out the years have picked up crocheting, needlepointing, latch hooking, cross stitching, oil painting, loom knitting, card making, mixed media, beading. I dabbled in candle making, soaping and other bath n body products when I was 20-21. But I was a kid and didn't really research or much of anything. Just bought my supplies and went with my creativity.

I am getting the itch to try soaping again. The last 8 years have matured me as far as crafting goes, so this time i am doing booku research so that I do it "right" this time with my soaping. I have learned quite a lot in the last 2 weeks and I plan on waiting a year or so before I start even thinking of selling. Or I might wait till I finish school and get a job so I can have all the required paperwork. I can not currently while on disability. I depend to heavily on my medical, so I'm not going to risk starting up a business while on disability and lose my medical. I've heard too many horror stories, so I will just prefect my craft till I get a job to support myself without Big Brother hovering in the back ground.

I have been spending lots of time reading on this forum and the teach soap forum. I have also been spending lots of time on Soap Queen. I have been soaking up all the information I can before I go out this Friday to Michael's to pick up M&P stuff to play with. I am gonna stick to M&P for now cause it is what i have used before and reading on Lye, has me spooked. I'd probably get it every where and all over me.

While I am in school and because my disability is no where near enough, I currently reside in my parents basement. so I will have time to develop my product before I get brave enough to think about selling my soaps and starting a business. Our house is filled to the brim with animals. 5 cats and my 2 small dogs. So I live in organized chaos.

I am a Disney Princess Freak and I like some Japanese Anime as well as a nice collection of Manga's or Graphic Novels. I collection Disney Snow Globes, Mainly Beauty and the Beast, with one Hercules Globe. I used to collect Care Bears, but out grew it and instead switched to collecting 80's vintage cartoon cross stitch pattern books.

I grew up on a mix of oldies and country music, listening to country all the time for almost 20 years. I like some of the oldies and a little Southern Rock

Hi Leeann,

Welcome to the forum! :D

You're a busy lady! It sounds like you've given this a lot thought and to have done so much you must be very organized. I think MP is a good way to start to build confidence. But please don't be nervous about using lye. It's not as scary as it sounds and I don't think you'd have any problems.

Another reason for being wary of lye, is 5 cats...they tend to stick their faces in any and everything. I would hate to be mixing in the lye and have a kitty jump up and stick their face in the bowl or worse knock it over and try to eat the mix. Only place I
can work is the kitchen and I can't ban them from the kitchen. so for now I am just going to play with what I am families with.

I am one of those instant gratification people and CP would take too long to cure for me, plus the cats would play with it as it cured. They are spoiled little devil's and get into everything.

Oh being on disability leaves you with oodles of time on your hands. I've got a healthy dose of OCD, so my projects and crafters are uber organized. I keep learning crafts all the time. Me and my friend have been spending 24/7 research on soap making. I am waiting very impatiently for Friday. I have not soaped since 04, so I am going with what i can get at michaels to make sure i still love it and then plan an order for Oct.

Yes our kitties have full run of everything. They do not get fussed at a whole lot unless they young kids mess with Ginger our 7 year old. the other's are 2 years and younger. All rescued

Latest posts

Back