help with unmolding (Crafter's Choice silicone mold)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxlasxx

Reaction score
I have a loaf made yesterday morning that does not seem to want to come out of the mold. I usually use the ED red silicone mold with no problem. This one is very thick with rigid sides that do not pull away from the loaf. Does anyone have any tips for getting this unmolded? I had a little extra batter
left so I used a silicone cavity mold for two little loaves...they unmolded easily. Thanks in advance for any info.....Lisa FL.

thank you for the quick response...no, I haven't tried the freezer. I'll go put it in now....would this recipe be the cause of the loaf being "stuck"?
16 oz hazelnut oil
10.5 oz palm kernel flakes
4 oz castor oil
10 oz distilled water
4.3 oz lye
this recipe is from Smart Soapmaking and I did run it through Soap Calc.
thank you CanaDawn!

any additional info will be appreciated......
Lisa

Ok, at least this I know I can help with. I use this exact mold because it's nice and sturdy unlike some others, but I prefer silicone because there is no throw-away. But it is definitely tough to unmold without bending/cracking/leaving some soap behind.

1) turn it upside down on top of a cutting board or whatever surface you plan to cut on.
2) if possible, get yourself "higher" so you've got some leverage. I actually put my cutting board down onto a chair so it is lower.
3) push firmly and evenly with the flat/palm of your hands around the edges and in the center of the mold. I usually start with one firm press in the center, then corners, edges, and center again. Repeat until you pop it loose.

It sometimes helps to break the suction on the sides so if your soap is firm enough, squeeze and pull gently at the sides when the mold is upright. I alternate between pushing on the upside down mold and flexing the sides gently when it's upright.

You can visually see when the mold is breaking loose of the soap, as the darker spots will "lighten" as the mold lets go of your loaf.

It takes patience... and practice... the last few loaves I've done have been gorgeous, but the first few were hideous, and everything in between was progress.

Good luck with unmolding, and I hope you grow to love this mold as much as I do!

EDIT: I'll leave the oil question to someone with more oil ratio experience, but in my own experience with a couple different recipes this mold just seems to have REALLY good suction... and the rigidness of it gives you a nice square bar, but it just doesn't seem to like to let go. I think it's just this mold in particular because I've tried other molds with no problem (but they didn't look as nice).

Last edited:
I have a 1lb square rigid silicone mold I use for testing. I always have to freeze it hard then let the mold start to thaw. Then condensation seems to help a little plus you really do not want to crack a frozen mold. After it has sat out for a little while I gently pull away the side and push from the bottom. They are tough buggers to de-mold. At least mine is but makes a great test mold

thank you so much for your replies!
it was exactly as stated....after freezing the loaf, I set it on the counter and the battle was on! I was actually wrestling with the mold! Finally got the sides to let go, the bottom was stuck tight. After about 15 minutes, and me thinking this soap is gonna be a mess, the bottom slowly released. I noticed it was soft around the edges and torn up a bit. I can use the planer, I guess.
Should it have been left in the mold another day? It was good and firm except the edges. Thank you so much for the responses! Lisa

I have this mold too, and I don't use it often, because it's a bear to get the soap out of it. It's a shame, because it's a nice little mold. Corinne gave you good advice. The only thing I do differently is to yank the hell out of the sides, no tugging gently for me. It's really hard to try and pull the sides away from the soap, but I pull as hard as possible, to break the seal there. Then push like Corrine said. All this is after freezing overnight. If it has gelled, it's easier. Not easy......but easier. Kind of. Good luck!

I have two of those molds and I've found that the soap is still sticky 24-48 hours after I've made it. What I've started doing is placing it in the oven for half hr on the lowest setting, about 24 hrs after I've made it and then leave it for another 12 hrs or so. It usually comes out without much effort after that, but if it's still a little too soft, I'll repeat the oven process.

Back