Help with percentages for recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finner21

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here šŸ˜ I have some ingredients that I want to use for a soap recipe but I am not sure what percents to use for what oil, any help with this would be fabulous.
Coconut oil
Rice bran oil
Olive oil
Lard
Castor oil

It depends on what you want the soap to do.

Castor oil is best at around 5% - although I have seen some soapers use it up to 10% - it's one of those oils that is not good in large quantities and works best in a less-is-more kind of way. By itself castor does not make good soap, but it works as an amplifier to the other oils in the recipe.

Lard - my opinion 20-50%. More than that and it smells too much - but I have a sensitive nose. Even at 25% I can smell the "piggyness". It makes excellent soap though with many nice properties so you can go up to 100% if you can stand the smell.

Olive Oil - I no longer use it due to cost, but when I did use it I didn't go above 40%. More than that and the soaps became too slimey (snot-like lather) and needed more cure time to reduce that effect.

Rice Bran Oil - it has a lot of similar properties to olive oil but without the slimey/snot factor, but I still follow the 40% rule.

Coconut Oil - becomes drying in soap form, so if you are formulating for drier skin, it's best advised to keep at 20% or lower. If dry skin is not a concern, it makes the best lather and you can crank that up to 30% if you want. I wouldn't go above 30% unless you're making a specialty soap (salt or brine soap), as it does make your soap more soluble and won't be as long lasting.

These are just my preferences, you'll find a variety of opinions on the forum. You may find this link helpful for guidelines: Free Beginner's Guide to Soapmaking: Common Soapmaking Oils - Soap Queen

I often substitute rice bran oil for olive oil in my soap recipes. If you are worried about rice bran oil causing DOS, add a little rosemary oleoresin. I would use either rice bran or olive oil, not both; but that is just my opinion. Others might disagree.
Here is a good place to start.

8% Castor Oil
22% Coconut Oil
35% Lard
35% Rice Bran or Olive Oil

I often substitute rice bran oil for olive oil in my soap recipes. If you are worried about rice bran oil causing DOS, add a little rosemary oleoresin. I would use either rice bran or olive oil, not both; but that is just my opinion. Others might disagree.
Here is a good place to start.

8% Castor Oil
22% Coconut Oil
35% Lard
35% Rice Bran or Olive Oil
Thank you šŸ™ I am looking for a creamy, bubbly lather

It depends on what you want the soap to do.

Castor oil is best at around 5% - although I have seen some soapers use it up to 10% - it's one of those oils that is not good in large quantities and works best in a less-is-more kind of way. By itself castor does not make good soap, but it works as an amplifier to the other oils in the recipe.

Lard - my opinion 20-50%. More than that and it smells too much - but I have a sensitive nose. Even at 25% I can smell the "piggyness". It makes excellent soap though with many nice properties so you can go up to 100% if you can stand the smell.

Olive Oil - I no longer use it due to cost, but when I did use it I didn't go above 40%. More than that and the soaps became too slimey (snot-like lather) and needed more cure time to reduce that effect.

Rice Bran Oil - it has a lot of similar properties to olive oil but without the slimey/snot factor, but I still follow the 40% rule.

Coconut Oil - becomes drying in soap form, so if you are formulating for drier skin, it's best advised to keep at 20% or lower. If dry skin is not a concern, it makes the best lather and you can crank that up to 30% if you want. I wouldn't go above 30% unless you're making a specialty soap (salt or brine soap), as it does make your soap more soluble and won't be as long lasting.

These are just my preferences, you'll find a variety of opinions on the forum. You may find this link helpful for guidelines: Free Beginner's Guide to Soapmaking: Common Soapmaking Oils - Soap Queen
Thank you! šŸ˜This was soo helpful, I am looking for a creamy , bubbly lather , interesting feedback in the lard smell, I also have a keen sense of smell, but have read soo many good reviews on lard

To create more lather, dissolve some form of sugar in your water before adding the lye. I use plain white sugar or sorbitol at 1% of oils.

For the lather you can also use honey, and a lot of times I put 10% castor oil and it make beautiful lather

Latest posts

Back