Help with Fragrance Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberryred

Reaction score
I am having issues with my soap whenever I use FO. I've EO a few times and they always work just fine. But I've only done FO twice so far and both times have had FO leaking out. I posted the first time here: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... 211#237211

And then it just happened again yesterday. Here's pictures of what it looks like:
swirl1.jpg

swirl2.jpg

swirl3.jpg

swirl4.jpg

swirl5.jpg

I did a 2 lb batch of a recipe I've used many times before with success. I added 1.5 oz of Sweet Pea FO. Did I just use too much? I thought 0.7-0.8 oz ppo was a pretty standard amount to use. I did test it to see if it zapped and there is no zap.

Should I just let it sit and see if it absorbs it at all? Or is there any way to save it? I ended up rebatching the first one.

And any idea why I'm not having issues with EO or no scent, but if I try to use FO I'm having problems? Help!

I have been told to let it sit and the soap will reabsorb but I am not certain.

One was from MMS, which I understand is a really good source. The other was from Candlescience and was listed as body safe. I would think it could be the source, but since they are from 2 different sources I would think it's something else that I must be doing wrong.

I just lifted it up and looked at the bottom and it was all wet, like water had leaked out and this is what it looked like:

swirls6.jpg

:(

dieSpinne said:
Does it zap?

This might be on the edge of overheating

Nope, no zapping. I did put it in a warm oven, but as soon as I saw it gelling I took it out and just let it sit not covered, etc.

I agree with dieSpinne- it looks like it was on the edge of overheating. Were the FOs rated CP safe? I ask because sometimes a FO can be body-safe (good for lotions/perfumes/MP ), but not good for use in CP. The vendor will usually specify that on the site, though. Was the FO thoroughly mixed in before pouring?

If it were my soap I'd just let it cure, because oftentimes, leaky FO will re-absorb right back in. When done curing, I'd just plane off the fugly parts.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I agree with dieSpinne- it looks like it was on the edge of overheating. Were the FOs rated CP safe? I ask because sometimes a FO can be body-safe (good for lotions/perfumes/MP ), but not good for use in CP. The vendor will usually specify that on the site, though. Was the FO thoroughly mixed in before pouring?

If it were my soap I'd just let it cure, because oftentimes, leaky FO will re-absorb right back in. When done curing, I'd just plane off the fugly parts.

IrishLass :)

The one I used today didn't say on the site if it was CP safe, but I've read of other people using them with no problems. The one I used before definitely was cp safe.

Yes, they were mixed in really well, or I thought they were. I did use a stick blender a few times to get them all blended.

I'll probably cut tomorrow and see what the inside looks like and then just wait and see what happens!

Mine have always reabsorbed...depending on the fo will determine how long it will take. I don't think you added too much fo to a 2lb batch, I usually do 1 oz to 16 ounces of oils but some of the fo's can be so finicky.

Latest posts

Back