help...what is this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it too, but haven't a clue how to reproduce it. It reminds me of a palm wax candle.

Just a mention, though - we often use the term "croc skin" or "alligator skin" to describe the an unattractive texture of the surface of a soap that has overheated. Not to say the term is wrong here, but just thought I'd mention it to keep the mis-communication to a minimum.

What temperature do you soap at? A couple of time in the past I got crackles or streaks because I soaped too cool and the hard oils started setting up before the liquid oils did.

The soap is really pretty though.

I just melted down a 4L container of Refined Palm Oil because the book I've been using (Complete Idiot's Guide to Natural Soap) warns that if you don't the stearic acid can separate out and leave chalky white veins all through the soap, so that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. Any chance that's what's happened here?

I've poured the melted oil into smaller containers, so that I only have to fully melt smaller amounts before weighing in the future.

walli said:
I've been making soap for about a year and I recently started getting alligator look to my soap. Does anyone know why or how this is happening?

Um, I kind of think the general consensus is that it is a pretty cool thing. Do you think that is a technique we might be able to replicate? How do I overheat my cold process soap? It stays pretty toasty the way it is. Do I have to make soap using HP to get this spiffy effect?

Do you believe your soap is compromised in any other way? Does overheating the soap make it any less usable?

Latest posts

Back