Help, got ash.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linedog

Reaction score
I'm having ash issues! Happens with tap water, bottled water or distiller water. OK so I don't think it's water related, what causes ash and how do I prevent it?

Some people mist the surface with rubbing alcohol. I am too lazy to do so but find that if I minimize contact between the surface of the soap and air after I pour (such as covering the top with plastic wrap/freezer paper), I get less ash.

Do you cover your mold with freezer paper and then insulate it? I think the chemicals in the soap react with the air to create ash. I have also read that gelling helps prevent ash.

I see more ash in my ungelled soaps than the ones I insulate to gel.
I'll have to try the plastic wrap with the next batch to see if it helps.

I had an ash issue with my second attempt, but my soaps since then seem to be doing fairly well.

My soaps always have ash. Tried spraying with alcohol without success. I have been putting Saran Wrap on top of mold. That seems to help a bit. I usually wash the ash off which is a pain. You think there would be something out there to prevent ash. It is not attractive.

I used to get ash on my bars on occasion. Since I've been making sure that I have an air tight layer of plastic wrap on the top of the soap, I've not had an ash issue.

Had ash with my first Castile soap that took FOREVER to harden. My errors were a) used tap water b) did not stir to a complete trace and possibly did not insulate well enough. I have a lard based soap insulating now, just peeked, no ash.

I am experimenting with the ash (lemonade from lemons :) ) I cut the ash off the bars which came to about 6 oz and mixed with 6 oz of boiling water. Ended up blending the mixture with with stick blender and it made a soft cream soap. Next I'll try adding more boiling water and blending and see if I can get to a pump able consistence and see if it makes a worthy hand soap.

I mist my soap tops very liberally with 91% alcohol to inhibit ash. Sometimes I use plastic wrap, but if I want the top to look nice, I use the alcohol. I've also heard adding about 2% beeswax to your recipe should help with ash. I tried to a few times and it seemed to help a little, but wasn't consistent. Glad the ash washes off a least, eve though it is a pain to do!

Do you guys know about steaming your ash away? You just get a pot steaming and hold your soap over it and it takes the ash away. I saw a video on it and it was amazing though I have not tried it yet. I thought I read it on here somewhere but then again I read a million things about soap on a daily basis so....yeah.

I have heard about steaming the ash away, but I am not sure how it is done. I guess I need to see if I can find a link to a video or tutorial about it.

Do you guys know about steaming your ash away? You just get a pot steaming and hold your soap over it and it takes the ash away. I saw a video on it and it was amazing though I have not tried it yet. I thought I read it on here somewhere but then again I read a million things about soap on a daily basis so....yeah.

Sounds interesting. Any chance you can find the video and post the link?

I used to just get ash on top til I started soaping at room temp. Now I get get it on the other sides when I unmold the logs, unless I remember to spray with alcohol when I take it out.

Chinah, I actually saw that someone did you an iron to steam their soaps. They said that they held the iron about six inches above the soaps to get the desired effects. Alas, I do not own an iron.. so steaming pot or kettle it is for me :)

Latest posts

Back