Help, dry flakey patches on face

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I've tried emu oil, olive, and I tried a little castor oil because it's good for the growth of your eyelashes and eyebrows. If castor oil is drying, it wouldn't have been enough to cause dry patches on my eyebrows and on my forehead.

Can anyone suggest anything? I might apply a little cortisone cream, maybe since the area is not only flakey but often looks a little inflamed too. I suppose it could be acne but I've never had that before

I get eczema on my face, especially cheeks, from using anything too harsh (a lot of commercial products I just can't do - even though they work well for acne I get terrible eczema instead).

So I made my own thicker, heavier cream for winter for my dry face (less water, more oil and wax). It is a bit oily when I put it on but feels better after 10 minutes or so. If I go back to the lighter cream (less oil and wax, more water) then I start to get dry again.

If you are looking to make your own, I would suggest starting with just a basic lotion with the lower comedogenic oils and go light on the water. Or some people like to use straight shea butter? (have not tried that myself.)

If you are looking for something from the store, yes I do use hydrocortisone cream once or twice a day if it's looking red and flaky, otherwise a thicker facial cream for dry skin or I love California Baby cream. (in the baby aisle, the one in a tub - not in a pump bottle.)

i have been getting the same thing on my forhead and a dime sized path on my cheek by my nose. i ended up using a lotion bar that i had made last year on just the spots tht were really dry. i have figured out that much of the blame is to the space heater in my room. when i sleep without it, the patches go away. it is way to cold though so i am suffering with dry skin and trying to keep it at bay with the lotion bar

Have you tried shea butter? I used it exclusively as my facial moisturizer for some time. I put it on thickly, allow my face to absorb for a few minutes and wipe off the excess. You can use a paper towel if you dont want to use your towels. Just be consistent with what ever you choose.

Please get it checked by a dermatologist or GP in case it might be something else. I've had dry flaky patches that turned out to be skin cancers and you'd never know.

Thanks for the advice. Yep, winter can really be to blame and I did try shea I think and it was the natural kind. A little cortisone seems to be the most effective. I will show my doctor and she might have a cream she knows of meant for the face. I have a pimply chin, too, that I can't figure out why except for eating a little more chocolate during the holidays. :p

It may be diet related. Gluten?

Just plain ol coconut oil works wonders for me. It absorbs fast and makes my skin glow! I use it everyday and night.

Search online for images of Sebborrheic Dermatitis, and if that is what you think it is, then you are already on the ball because I would suggest hydrocortisone for it..

SD is thought to be caused by an over production of skin oil, and a yeast called malessizia.. but also stress, weather, other skin disorders (which is why visiting a dermotologist is a good idea), not shampooing often enough (when if appears along the hairline), over-cleansing... when this condition happens to babies (pretty harmless to them), they call it 'cradle cap'

If you decide to look for a mild skin cleanser, I would do with a mild, simple brand... like Eucerin or Aquafor. Definately stop putting thick oils on it... You want fast absorbing moisturizers, oils will just sit there and be non-occlusive.

I still use my soaps on my face and I'd be sad not to but I have members of my family who can't and have to use hypoallergenic, gentle cleansers like those you mentioned, Healinya. I used to be able to use plain coconut oil or olive and have a moist, glowing and clear complexion. Maybe it's hormone related or something. I heard it can be hard to rid your diet of gluten and how prevalent it is in food. Thanks!

I was going to suggest your face cleanser could be to blame.

I often get dry patches and moisturiser doesn't help, but changing cleanser does. I now use my salt soap and haven't had any issues (great for pimples too).

Back