Help! Clear lines through my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kymba

Reaction score
i just made my first batch of lavender soap. It did not appear to go through the gel phase that I could see. I used titanium dioxide, kaolin clay, and lavender ultramarine. The recipe I used:

Olive 34.2 oz
Coconut 23.4 oz
Palm 22.7 oz
Castor 4.3 oz
Water 29 oz
NaOH 11.8 oz

My attempt at swirling was an obvious failure but that is easily fixable. What caused those lines and will the soap be usable? I would hate to have to throw the batch out. It smells wonderful but looks terrible. How can I prevent this in the future? Here is a pic of the soap.

image.jpg

Those are glycerin rivers and they seem to happen frequently when titanium dioxide is used. I switched to using kaolin clay to whiten instead. Kaolin doesn't have the same issue.

Those are glycerin rives and yes, the soap is usable. There are various causes including getting too hot during gel, using TD and using full water. When you use TD, you can't always see gel phase so I'll guess it was heat that caused it.

I had to go double check my TD to make sure I ordered the right one. It is for oil. I guess I won't be using any TD if it causes that. I am going to try a batch without it and see what happens.

Thanks for the links. Great information.

Last edited:
I use TD all the time and rarely get glycerin rivers. Try preventing gel, you'll get a nice white soap with no lines.

Honestly, I have used bb td since I started. It's both water and oil soluble. I haven't had them (glycerine rivers) once thus far gelling and not gelling. Also, it's a nice aesthetic if you make it work for you. I wouldn't rebatch anything unless I messed up my lye, in all honesty. Let it go, use it and focus on your recipe this round instead. See how the recipe performs, and leave the rivers be. This way you learn about td glycerine rivers, you learn about this recipe, and you can adjust your findings in the future. If you rebatch based on looks only, you alter the recipe and can't learn how it performs. Just an opinion...
:)

Oh edit! You said try a batch and I saw rebatch lololol!! That's what I get posting as the patriots win the super bowl!!

Last edited:
Lol. I agree. I wouldn't rebatch anything unless there was no other way to save the soap. I think I might try the same recipe and put it in the fridge or freezer to see if that works. If not, then I will delete the TD. If that fails then I will try adjusting the Palm oil maybe? Or a different recipe altogether. It smells wonderful. I just wish it looked as good as it smells.

Ah, found it -- here's a very interesting article on "glycerine rivers" -- http://auntieclaras.com/2014/05/glycerine-rivers-secret-revealed/

Also see: http://auntieclaras.com/2014/05/glycerine-rivers-trying-to-understand-them/
and: http://auntieclaras.com/2014/08/intentional-crop-circles-water-discount-as-a-design-tool/

I also have to add that I have seldom seen mottling/streaking/glycerin rivers when I soap with 33% lye solution (1 part NaOH to 2 parts water). I have soaped recently with 31% lye solution ... and I'm getting streaking in the higher-water soaps, although everything else has been fairly consistent.

Last edited:
The only time I have had glycerine rivers was when I over poured my water by 10g, but made the soap anyway. The rivers were horrendous so I have to concur that excess water makes a big difference.

Thank you all. The soap smells wonderful. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it is fully cured and shrinks. I will reduce my water.

Back