Hello!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
I am fairly new to soap making. I actually started because my son, 13 yrs old, wanted to make soap for a few reasons with the main reason being his many, many, many allergies. He started doing all of the research and pitched his business ideas to me. He had great ideas and was clearly serious about it so after several months of research, planning and saving for supplies his ideas are taking form. We’ve finally started making cold process soap and we are both hooked. We’ve been making soap everyday fine tuning our recipes, technique and knowledge.
I have found so many different tutorials and advice which has made it very confusing so I joined this forum hoping to gain the knowledge we need to do the best we can as well as to network with fellow soap makers.

Welcome.gif

I have found so many different tutorials and advice which has made it very confusing
Since your son wants to make soap that doesn't irritate his skin, you are in good company here!!! Like many SMF members, that's exactly the reason I started making my own soap in 2003. My first soap was 100% lard soap. To this day, I feel it's the best all-around soap for those with skin issues. It's cheap to make and not as likely to cause a reaction as other options. I eventually added 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil to boost lather.

Fragrance is the main culprit in most cases, so making fragrance-free soap is preferable.

FREE 26-Page Guide to Making Cold Processed Soap

Last edited:
Welcome! Many of us here also started making soap due to skin sensitivities. But since everyone is different, you will find lots of different recipes recommended. Make small, fragrance-free batches to find out which ones work best for your son. Even EOs can be very irritating to those with sensitivities. :)

View attachment 74053

Since your son wants to make soap that doesn't irritate his skin, you are in good company here!!! Like many SMF members, that's exactly the reason I started making my own soap in 2003. My first soap was 100% lard soap. To this day, I feel it's the best all-around soap for those with skin issues. It's cheap to make and not as likely to cause a reaction as other options. I eventually added 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil to boost lather.

Fragrance is the main culprit in most cases, so making fragrance-free soap is preferable.

FREE 26-Page Guide to Making Cold Processed Soap

I love that so many started from the same place. My poor boy is allergic to so many things, I’ve never met anyone that has so many allergies. He’s the only one of my four that has the same allergies and intolerances so I’m still just learning what would work best for him.
I appreciate the tips! I have read about using lard but kind of dismissed it but I’ll go back to that and try it for sure.
Side note - I’m in az but originally from Bloomfield co. I miss it so much!!

Welcome! Many of us here also started making soap due to skin sensitivities. But since everyone is different, you will find lots of different recipes recommended. Make small, fragrance-free batches to find out which ones work best for your son. Even EOs can be very irritating to those with sensitivities. :)
Definitely leaving out the fragrances. I use them in other soaps but not his, I try to stay as clean/free and natural recipes for him. I love the whole fragrance and color options and coming up with design plans. We have started small and he really enjoys testing them.
I did think some EO’s might be okay but I will reconsider that thought and just work out exactly what scent free recipes are best for him.
I’ve gotten some great advice already! Thank you :)

Hello!
I am fairly new to soap making. I actually started because my son, 13 yrs old, wanted to make soap for a few reasons with the main reason being his many, many, many allergies. He started doing all of the research and pitched his business ideas to me. He had great ideas and was clearly serious about it so after several months of research, planning and saving for supplies his ideas are taking form. We’ve finally started making cold process soap and we are both hooked. We’ve been making soap everyday fine tuning our recipes, technique and knowledge.
I have found so many different tutorials and advice which has made it very confusing so I joined this forum hoping to gain the knowledge we need to do the best we can as well as to network with fellow soap makers.
Welcome!

Welcome! My daughter has "freaky, allergic skin" as well. I started out by making laundry soap to help combat her skin breakouts. I soon graduated to CP soap and Shampoo Bars.
I have been making most of our household cleaners for awhile now. Living in AZ means a TON of dust which is really bad for him. I have been trying and trying to figure out what shampoo bar recipes to even begin with. They vary so much online and in books, it’s crazy.
My oldest three boys could play in the mud, eat worms and rub against every possible allergen known and not have so much as a skin dot. My youngest is lovingly referred to as “bubble boy” by his brothers. He’s termed “medically fragile” by his dr’s and as his health declines his allergies have gotten worse. It’s been so gratifying to be able to tackle such a big issue for him :)

My youngest is lovingly referred to as “bubble boy” by his brothers. He’s termed “medically fragile” by his dr’s and as his health declines his allergies have gotten worse.
Are you in Phoenix by any chance? If so, his allergy may be airborne. Every time my sister (in Seattle) visits our family in Phoenix she breaks out in a rash all over. Stays inside as much as possible. There's actually a disease called "Valley Fever" which is rare outside of Arizona. People can get Valley fever by breathing in dust that contains spores of the Coccidioides fungus. Two thirds of the known cases occured in Maricopa County.

Just a thought. 🤔

Are you in Phoenix by any chance? If so, his allergy may be airborne. Every time my sister (in Seattle) visits our family in Phoenix she breaks out in a rash all over. Stays inside as much as possible. There's actually a disease called "Valley Fever" which is rare outside of Arizona. People can get Valley fever by breathing in dust that contains spores of the Coccidioides fungus. Two thirds of the known cases occured in Maricopa County.

Just a thought. 🤔
No, we are roughly 70 miles southeast of Phoenix. He was born here and we’ve been here for roughly 18 years. In 2019 valley fever was really bad in our area. The vast majority of cases were dogs. At that time my mom got it and our dog got it shortly after. My mom was very sick and it took just over a year to get thru the worst of it. We had spent time at my parents house before lock down and I think that’s were my pup got it. Nobody else did, none of our other animals got it either. I was really scared that my son would get it. I don’t know how well he would’ve gotten thru it. Many people who get it are healthy and many don’t know they’ve had it. It’s the vulnerable that have such a rough time. It’s scary to know it’s lingering, you can’t treat your yard or anything to prevent it and all it takes is the fine dust particles that have it to get riled up. We often have enough wind as it doesn’t take much to kick up the dust and coat your house with it as well. My son has tested negative for it since then but you never know. We are in monsoon/haboob season now and there’s lots of dust. When we go anywhere or just out in the yard he wears a mask at the smallest hint of wind. But that’s such little protection for our dust.
Thank you for that suggestion, it’s not widely discussed here believe it or not so many, many people aren’t aware of it.

My poor boy is allergic to so many things, I’ve never met anyone that has so many allergies. He’s the only one of my four that has the same allergies and intolerances so I’m still just learning what would work best for him.
If I may ask, what is it that he's allergic to? My family and I are allergic/intolerant to a lot of things as well, so I'm wondering if it could be similar? Ours technically stems from one thing, but that one thing just so happens to be used very commonly, plus has a cross-reactivity list. Have you heard before of "myroxylon pereirae"? It's also called "balsam of peru"

Latest posts

Back