Hello from South Florida

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseb

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to soaping. Just made my first batch on Thursday. I started making soap as a fundraiser for our school's organic veggie garden. We were funded for the last 3 years, but now I want it to be self sufficient. I'll be using the herbs from the garden in my soap. Including our loofah, which is almost ready to be picked! I'm very excited and hope that it's a big $ maker for us. The office staff has agreed to be my guinea pigs. Can't believe I have to wait 4 weeks though. LOL

Welcome! I agree with lsg. Take your time before you sell, even for a fundraiser. I thought my first soaps were great, but 4 months later the first 3 batches are covered in DOS. I would hate to raise that money and then people come back wanting a refund because of that. We have some great threads in the business section about selling.

Welcome to the forum! :wave: As a retired nurseryman I am envious that you grow your own loofah sponges. Mine never managed to grew well.

Welcome! I agree with lsg. Take your time before you sell, even for a fundraiser. I thought my first soaps were great, but 4 months later the first 3 batches are covered in DOS. I would hate to raise that money and then people come back wanting a refund because of that. We have some great threads in the business section about selling.

Thank you for the great advice! It will be several months before we start to sell. So I do have time to test out my recipe. I'm off during the summer and will be experimenting with the 3 types we plan to sell. I'm making two different batches next week. Thank you for the warm welcome and advice!

p.s. What is DOS?

I am new to the boards as well, but wanted to say "hello".
I wish I had a decent camera to post some pics...but I recently made a soap that was 1/2 green, and 1/2 natural color. I used dried herbs (processed them in a food processor for awhile) in the green part and gardenia FO in the cream part. I call it "Katrina's garden" as it is for my friend who likes gardenias and herbs. I am thinking it would be cool to incorporate some of your garden stuff into your soaps and just wanted to give you an idea.

Thank you for the great advice! It will be several months before we start to sell. So I do have time to test out my recipe. I'm off during the summer and will be experimenting with the 3 types we plan to sell. I'm making two different batches next week. Thank you for the warm welcome and advice!

p.s. What is DOS?

You probably need longer than several months to see how the soap performs and get the experience of making soap before selling. As you don't know what DOS is yet, it would be better to wait than to make mistakes for your customers to buy. Something for you to read - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f23/you-ready-sell-your-soap-16002/

Latest posts

Back