Has anyone opened their NY Eve Castile?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh happy day! I found 2 vintage bars of 100% Castile that I made back in May of 2010. I thought for sure that I had used up the last bar a few months ago, but apparently not! WooHoo! :grin:

I used it in the shower today and it had such lovely 'oomphy' lather with nice bubblage when using my facial cloth to work up the lather, but lathering it up in my hand was a whole 'nuther story (which is always typical for me with 100% Castile) -it was goopy, slimy, snotty, egg-white city. When I went to put the soap back into the dish after lathering it in my hands, several strings of snotty goop followed my hand as I pulled it away from the soap, and the 'strings' of goo hung down in the same way that saliva hangs down from the mouth of a drooling dog. :lol:

It was superfatted at 5% and scented with Fresh Picked Strawberries from Southern Soapers, which had totally disappeared to nothing in the soap, but that didn't matter to me because it felt so good when lathered with my cloth.

IrishLass :)
:lol: love your description!! My uncented castiles that are a year old do the same thing, but they also feel great and no dos. They were left on the top shelf of my rack. I do have some soap scented with soapsupplies.net Mandarin that are over a year old and the fragrance is still holding well

I didn't try 100 per cent castille as I was put off by the reports of slime, but did make a HP batch with 91 percent OO, 9 percent castor oil, oats and honey, so I hope you don't mind me posting it here? I wish the idea was mine but it was originally posted on the latherings forum, as Bunny' s Castille or Calebs oat and honey and got rave reviews.

I found it drying to start with, my skin doesn't usually like high percentages of OO, but lovely with a good long cure and amazing at a year old. It has a lovely bubbly lather and absolutely no stringy slime, although it does need drying out now and again. It was so mild I've used it as a facial soap. My friends all begged me for some too after trying it in my bathroom!

I've now tried it in a few different versions
1) Oat milk (less exfoliating), honey and lavender. Definitely an odd smell to start with but luckily it improved with time. I could hardly smell the lavender when I tried it yesterday, at one year old.
2) Adding goats milk powder - which didn't work well at all!! After stick blending on and off for 3 hours it finally came together at 2am in the morning, when I was just about to give up! However it smells like slightly burnt biscuit which is disconcerting to say the least!

If you are not keen on pure castille it may be worth trying. It can be CP too, but I haven't tried it yet.

I remember my mom buying castile soap when I was younger but I am convinced it wasn't really castile. Thinking back it felt more like what a coconut soap with extra super fat feels like, only I remember it feeling harsh and drying so probably not enough SF for me. Curiosity is getting the better of me, I will have to see if I can find that soap in the store now.

Ok I've had the Castile in my home for a week or so now. And I would have to say it's attitude has changed, it is not the "snotty, slimeball" it was when it first arrived! I've been told I have a way with naughty, misbehaving (fill in the blank)...:grin:

I'm not that familiar with Castile, so is that the norm?

Ok I've had the Castile in my home for a week or so now. And I would have to say it's attitude has changed, it is not the "snotty, slimeball" it was when it first arrived! I've been told I have a way with naughty, misbehaving (fill in the blank)...:grin:

I'm not that familiar with Castile, so is that the norm?

Mine did seem to loose the gelatinous glopyness after a few uses.

I made mine 4 months ago, yes it's slimy and I used nerolina EO but the scent did not survive. But I love Castile soap I use them as facial soap and did not dry my face at all. When I used a pouf there's a lot of creamy and small bubbles. I will keep making castile soap even though of it's reputation of being gooey and slimy.

Back