GSE in CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tespring

Reaction score
Why do some people put grapefruit seed extract in CP soap? Does it give the soap any good qualities?

Oh, I see. Can't they test it to see if it works like they would with a lotion? TY for explaining that. :)

It was thought that GSE (Grapeseed Extract) would help stave off rancidity, or DOS in Cold processed soap. Some soapers add a few drops to their bottles of oils, and don't add it to the soap. Some add some to the soap.
I believe that your formula is much more important and relevant in keeping DOS away.
It's very expensive here too.

I agree.
Someone suggested benzoin as a preservative also- but I haven't used it yet. There's conflicting thoughts about whether it does anything either.

GSE Not Worth the Money

I used to use Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) in almost all of my batches. However, after doing a lot of research on the web, I came to the conclusion it is not worth the expense. I read one study that concluded that the anti-microbial/preservative properties of GSE are entirely due to a tiny amount of chemical preservative they add to GSE to prolong its shelf life! After I read that I used up what I had and never bought another bottle. I added it to my warmed, blended oils and it did seem to speed up trace but I'd rather stir a little longer than add what such a costly, unneeded ingredient.

I read It isn't stable in soap either over time. I like using ROE, I keep the GSE for myself and my pets lol

does the ROE add scent? what sort of amt do you add if you're using it for it's preservative effect?

Best Natural Soap said:
does the ROE add scent? what sort of amt do you add if you're using it for it's preservative effect?
ROE doesn't add scent you add so little so you don't smell it at all. I use it in unscented laundry bars and sticks too. I'm using it to prevent DOS. I use about 8 drops pp.

Jaaret said:
lovethyscent said:
ROE doesn't add scent you add so little so you don't smell it at all. I use it in unscented laundry bars and sticks too. I'm using it to prevent DOS. I use about 8 drops pp.

Okay, I can't find the acronym decoder. What are ROE and DOS?

ROE-Rosemary Oleoresin Extract
DOS-Dreaded Orange Spots

Back