gremlins :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey

Reaction score
So who sent the soap gremlins to my house?

I had a great soaping day yesterday. Or so I thought. My 2nd batch turned out great. But my first one? Not so much. :(

Same recipe but different FO's. Started getting some separation with the one FO but I beat it back together. Or so I thought...turns out...not so much. :oops:

I just unmolded it and it's a little oily. I superfatted my recipe to 7%. It doesn't zap and it's not feeling too mushy or soft. The loss of the oils wasn't huge. I'm going to let it still for awhile and hopefully some of the oils will reabsorb.

But if the oil doesn't absorb and I end up having to blot off the excess it should still be ok, right? Usable but not same as the other recipe.
:(

ya win some ya lose some.. as long as it doesn't zap it'll be okay to use. i'm crossing my fingers the oils will reabsorb :)

Yes, you can blot off any excess oil that doesn't absorb back in. As long as it does not zap, you are good to go, at least as far as safety is concerned. 'Skin-feel', on the other hand may (or may not) be another story, though. You'll just have to wait it out and see, but I'm pretty sure it'll be perfectly fine. It doesn't sound like it lost a lot.

IrishLass :)

If you let the soap "air" meaning don't lock it away and leave on the bench for a few days it should encourage the soap to absorb it back in which will only leave a shiny surface and you can wipe that clean and the bar should harden and lather as normal. Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago but I think it because I mixed the soap at a higher temperature than normal. :)

Latest posts

Back