Good Gravy! Shipping cost at Soaper's Choice, Whattttttt??????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy Lou

Reaction score
I have yet to order from Soaper's Choice, and was getting ready to order 7 lbs. each of Tallow and RBO. I am not gonna order the larget size as I am a hobbyist and I can't use a large amount in a good amount of time, no where to store it, etc. Tallow, $11.55 USD and $12.46 USD.. Are you ready for this?? $16.23 for SHIPPING AND PROCESSING????? What a rude awakening... Is this normal? I did some comparison shopping at Amazon, Etsy and Soaper's choice and for 7lbs. or a little less or more, was WAY CHEAPER at Soaper's choice. I neglected to check shipping at other places, but not sure that is gonna make much of a dent. What say all of you soapers that buy often? I just may have to bite the bullet and get it, I dunno...

Even with shipping, Soaper's Choice has always been the more affordable choice for me as far as bottom line cost of the products I purchase from them. The secret has been to manipulate my cart until I get the most amount of product with the least amount of shipping. For example, the shipping for 4 bottles of oils (7 pound bottles) is the same as it is for 2 bottles of oils, so I buy 4 bottles.

The shipping is based on the size of the box, not just the weight.

One caveat, is that I always shop around and include the shipping cost in my bottom line comparison before choosing where to purchase. Another is that shipping prices &/or other add-on fees change, as has happened with a couple of vendors lately, so I do make sure to do a cost comparison each time I plan an order.

The other reason I really like Soaper's Choice is that their shipping is always prompt and I usually get my order delivered to my door within a couple of days, and a few times it came the very next day. But I do live in the same state, so that's part of it. For ground shipping (as opposed to products that may go by air or even USPS), the closer the vendor is to me, often the shipping is less costly.

My experience with Soape'rs Choice has been the same as @earlene's. I always do a comparison when ordering including shipping. If WSP has a sale on what I need, it can be comparable in price to Soaper's Choice. I am also a hobby soaper, so using larger quantities isn't always the best option for me either. 7 lbs of coconut oil, olive oil or sunflower oil isn't too much for me to use up, and I do add ROE to bottles of liquid oils that are that size. That said, I use olive oil and sunflower oil because I can buy those locally, so rarely order them.

Tallow is difficult to find - not many suppliers carry it. They also package many of their solid oils in bottles, which is annoying.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with Bramble Berry. Their prices seem better, but with shipping, they really aren't. I just put in a huge order from amazon and all free shipping. 😁

I have never ordered from WSP, but like others, I always shop around to see where I get the most bang for my shipping buck. As an example...say I need to order Cocoa and Shea Butter...I would open a window for each supplier and add the butters to my cart and calculate shipping. Then I would start adding specific items I usually ordered from that company...EOs, FOs, colorants, etc and then recalculate the cost as I added things until I reached my budget and then I would see who gave me the best deal and that is who I ordered from. Then next month I would do the same.

I do have to note that it didn't always work out...sometimes there would be times when I had to order from a specific company, but that's where keeping an eye on your inventory and increasing the quantity of the items you order comes in. As I noted in another post...it's a process that takes time.

It's been my observation that free or low-cost shipping isn't truly free or low cost -- at least some of the true shipping cost is hidden in the markup in the merchandise price for the items.

My thinking on that goes for Amazon as well as any other supplier. Of late, I have been doing my product research on Amazon but purchasing direct from the supplier rather than Amazon. I don't necessarily get a better deal when buying direct (although that sometimes happens), but I usually find the cost is no higher than from Amazon. And I have the satisfaction of knowing the money that would otherwise have been paid to Amazon gets to stay in the supplier's pocket.

I also tweak my orders from Soaper's Choice like Earlene does after it dawned on me the Soaper's Choice shipping cost for 4 jugs is about the same as when I only order 2 jugs.

I'll chime in as well. Even with shipping Soapers Choice is cheaper than anywhere else if you are buying in bulk. Their customer service is stellar as well.

I also forgot to mention how fast their shipping is too (soaper's choice that is) For my orders they will usually send me a shipping notice either the same day within a few hours, of if I order later in the day, it will be early the next morning I get the shipping notice.
IMO you really can't beat the CS, timing, and cost. But again, that's JMO.

I've often paid equal to or more in shipping compared to the actual price of products ordered - especially on a small order. It's a necessary evil for me so I try to make the order big enough to justify the shipping costs.

I have yet to order from Soaper's Choice, and was getting ready to order 7 lbs. each of Tallow and RBO. I am not gonna order the larget size as I am a hobbyist and I can't use a large amount in a good amount of time, no where to store it, etc. Tallow, $11.55 USD and $12.46 USD.. Are you ready for this?? $16.23 for SHIPPING AND PROCESSING????? What a rude awakening... Is this normal? I did some comparison shopping at Amazon, Etsy and Soaper's choice and for 7lbs. or a little less or more, was WAY CHEAPER at Soaper's choice. I neglected to check shipping at other places, but not sure that is gonna make much of a dent. What say all of you soapers that buy often? I just may have to bite the bullet and get it, I dunno...
I just bought a ton of stuff (269 lbs) from SC and the shipping on it was $307.00. So it's a little over $1/1 lb.
This is what I really hate about this whole shopping scam. This is a great opportunity for those businesses that are no longer paying fees associated with brick and mortar stores. Kind of a two for one deal.
I would look at places like Sam's, Costco, Big Lots, etc. for Olive, Coconut, Avocado, Palm (I usually get at the Wholefoods Co-app when on sale), Avocado, Canola, etc.
An avenue you can check out for Rice Bran Oil is a store like Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm / Farm Fleet, etc. Go to the Horse Isle and look at the supplemental oils they feed to horses. You'll be sure to find some there! *Warning though, I notice that they inflate the price like crazy!
Good shopping luck!

Because I am a hobbyist, SC's quantities are far too large for me to get. :( But it drives me crazy that I have to go to four or five different suppliers (and pay four or five shipping costs) to get the stuff I want. More than once I've had a cartful of stuff and left it because with shipping, it just wasn't worth it. (looking at you, BB) There are only a few suppliers that have a large range of products, but that's why I asked a question last week or so ago (but got not replies) about which vendors had actual brick and mortar shops. I went to Candles and Supplies in PA last month, and just being able to walk through and look (and smell) the various items was really helpful.

The secret has been to manipulate my cart until I get the most amount of product with the least amount of shipping.
:thumbs: :thumbs: That's what I do too.
The other reason I really like Soaper's Choice is that their shipping is always prompt and I usually get my order delivered to my door within a couple of days,
:thumbs: :thumbs: That's another plus I can attest to. Reliable suppliers like Soapers Choice are rare. Over the years, they've earned my loyalty. Never disappointed.
$16.23 for SHIPPING AND PROCESSING????? What a rude awakening... Is this normal?
Yes. Like Earlene mentioned, if you add a 7 lb jug of olive oil and another oil like palm or PKO (flakes) your shipping stays the same or goes up only a dollar or two more. The cost of shipping, spread over 4 products, is not so bad. ;)

Due to shipping costs to my area, and the fact that I'm not buying large amounts, Soaper's Choice is rarely cost effective for the products I need to purchase. Too bad, since the one time I did order from them, it arrived quickly and was of good quality.

[QUOTE="Zany_in_CO, post: 901374, member: 22120"
Yes. Like Earlene mentioned, if you add a 7 lb jug of olive oil and another oil like palm or PKO (flakes) your shipping stays the same or goes up only a dollar or two more. The cost of shipping, spread over 4 products, is not so bad. ;)
[/QUOTE]

That doesn't help me, since the oils from SC would still end up costing me more per pound than what I pay locally with no shipping expense, other than the gas that I would already use to do regular grocery shopping at Costco or WM. Of course, there is something to be said for delivery to the door without the time and headache of going into either of those stores, or the back ache from loading and unloading the oils.

Last edited:
But it drives me crazy that I have to go to four or five different suppliers (and pay four or five shipping costs) to get the stuff I want. More than once I've had a cartful of stuff and left it because with shipping, it just wasn't worth it. (looking at you, BB)

What you need to do is set a budget and then use it one month to buy from Store A, next month at Store B, and so on and so forth.

Like Lenarenee I am on the West Coast and Soapers Choice is very seldom cost-effective for me. In fact, I live within 70 miles of Lenarenee. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where Smart and Finals are available and can buy Lard, Tallow, and Palm in 50 lb blocks for around $1 per lb or less, so guess where I buy mine. I also have Cibaria within driving distance where I used to buy bulk CO in the range of $40 for 35 lbs. I know prices have gone up but I bought in bulk and received a few discounts. I was also lucky enough to live within 25 miles of LA with all the importers so could find fantastic prices on Shea butter. Sadly Covid put most of them out of business. Costco is good for Olive Oil, which I do not use.

Thanks for reminding me about Smart & Final, Carolyn. I was just about to spend $64 for a 48# cube of lard at Cash & Carry/US Foods, but my daughter can pick up a 50# cube for $50 at her Smart & Final there in Reno. I'll get it from her in a few weeks when we meet in Winnemucca to get the grandkids. 👍

ETA: I just priced out a 30# cube of lard and 30# cube of tallow at Soaper's Choice. The combined cost of the two items was $52. The shipping was $65.

Back