Goats milk soap-gel time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people do not let their milk soaps gel because it can reach a stage of overheating very fast if you don't keep an eye on it. And very fast means I just poured this a few minutes ago and the thing is already reaching gel stage.

If you let the soap gel keep an eye on it and keep it under a fan with the mold (do not insulate the mold) elevated to allow air circulation. You can even stick it in the fridge once it has gelled to keep it at a more stable temperature.

You might get partial gel if you stick it in the fridge before it has come to full gel but that only effects the appearance of the soap and not the quality.

Thanks Paula! This is the first time I've EVER made milk soap and am trying to do it right. I froze my milk and added my lye sooooo slooowly and never let it get over 95 degrees. It didn't curdle or anything. I was afraid I'd done something wrong, but now it's gellin' like a felon & I'm watching it like a hawk! :shock:

I prefer to gel my gm soaps. If I don't gell I get a partial gel every single time. May have to look at my moulds if I want to ungel.
It will be lovely whichever way. You did the right thing freezing the milk and adding the lye slowly.

Latest posts

Back