Goat Milk Soap - Freeze or not to freeze

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhitake

Reaction score
New maker here reading and absorbing a lot of information especially from YouTube. I have seen two different makers make goat milk soap, two different ways. One by freezing the milk and one by adding milk directly to the oils. I'm assuming either way works because I've seen the finished product, but is there a specific reason why you would use one method over the other or is it purely preference?

is there a specific reason why you would use one method over the other or is it purely preference?
Purely preference.
If you want to do 100% milk, then frozen would be the better option.
Inserting my opinion here: this method takes a lot more patience. Curing soap already tests all the patience that I have, so this is just something I do not have time for.

If you don't care that your soap is less than 100% milk, then the milk in oil method is the better option.
My opinion: I have never been able to tell the difference between a split milk soap and 100% milk soap. If you don't have your own goats and don't have the excess milk to use up, save your dollars and use the split method. Additionally, I have less troubles with acceleration and overheating when I use this method (compared to using a milk slushy because see above notes for not having patience to mess with frozen solid...), it also works well with room temp soaping using MB oils and MB lye.

Hi, I use full water, then add powder required to my oils.
Can not say either method. Is any better. They all work well. I just migrated from one to the other. Out of convenience. Powdered donkeys milk?

Hi, I use full water, then add powder required to my oils.
Can not say either method. Is any better. They all work well. I just migrated from one to the other. Out of convenience. Powdered donkeys milk?
Ahhhh!!! And yes!! My first foray into soaping was melt and pour version containing donkeys milk. I love it!! You can by the milk or get it in powdered form via Amazon.

I freeze my gm and add the lye, to keep it cool and not heat up, then put it in the frig not to gel. I use full gm in place of water, my choice.

Latest posts

Back