goat milk sea salt soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlktrkdrvr

Reaction score
I have made goat milk soap for a few years now and have made a few batches of sea salt soap, but can I make goat milk sea salt soap? Has anyone? Recipe? Advantages? Troubles? Mainly just wondering

I haven't tried it. Thinking about it I believe it is possible but might be a little tricky. Keep in mind you would have to keep the mix from overheating. You would also be working with a very quick setting recipe. I would try individual molds both for the decreased temperature and so I wouldn't have to try to cut a too hard loaf if I was using a fridge to keep the temp down.

The other option would be to use powdered goats milk as an additive. Let us know how it turns out!

it is -4 out right now- I could put it outside ;) Don't think I will try it anymore tonight...maybe sometime though

I just made salt bars with 100% CM. Tried out a bit of one and think the bubbles are incredible for a soap that is only a few days old. I cannot wait until those babies grow up!

I just made salt bars with 100% CM. Tried out a bit of one and think the bubbles are incredible for a soap that is only a few days old. I cannot wait until those babies grow up!

I have the same experience. It is the creamiest soap I have ever done. I assume it is the coconut milk that does that. It is just wonderful.

I've been making my salt soap with 100% coconut milk for a few years now and it makes for an incredibly lovely salt soap with a nice balance of creamy/bubbly lather. I use 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk as my liquid of choice (using the split-method of milk soaping), and 25% sea salt as per my oil weight. Oh, and I superfat it at 13%.

IrishLass :)

I've been making my salt soap with 100% coconut milk for a few years now and it makes for an incredibly lovely salt soap with a nice balance of creamy/bubbly lather. I use 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk as my liquid of choice (using the split-method of milk soaping), and 25% sea salt as per my oil weight. Oh, and I superfat it at 13%.

Hope you don't mind me asking - what's the split method of milk soaping? I've made quite a few goats milk soaps, and can't wait to try coconut milk.

I'm just editing this as I found your description of the split method on another post. Many thanks.

Last edited:

IrishLass, you mention the "split-method of milk soaping". What is that exactly? I froze the coconut milk and used it like that. It worked fine.

By the way, I have made your recipe of 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk and 25% salt. I added some pink clay and Dead Sea mud and it is the most wonderful face bar I have ever made. Thank you for giving the recipe.

IrishLass, you mention the "split-method of milk soaping". What is that exactly? I froze the coconut milk and used it like that. It worked fine.

The 'split-method' of milk soaping is an ingenious way (if you ask me) of making milk soap by which one can completely avoid/bypass all the extra time and annoying persnicketiness/fussiness (at least to me) that comes along with adding lye to frozen milk.

The method involves splitting one's liquid amount in two -1 part water, which gets mixed with the lye, and 1 part fresh/refrigerated or room temp milk (i.e., not frozen), which gets mixed with the warm oils/fats either just before or just after adding the lye solution to them.

While true that this will give you only a 50% milk soap, which still feels quite lovely if you ask me, you can also use the split method to make a 100% milk soap by fortifying your refrigerated or room temp milk with enough powdered milk to increase the milk concentration in order to bring it up to a 100% level for your batch.

Re: the frozen/slushy method- I have done the method a few times and it just did not agree with me whatsoever (i.e., I really sucked at it), and it truly put me off of making milk soaps.....at least until the day that someone on another forum introduced me to the split method (insert the voice of angels singing here). Anyway, I fell in love with the method at first batch, and I've never looked back. :)

By the way, I have made your recipe of 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk and 25% salt. I added some pink clay and Dead Sea mud and it is the most wonderful face bar I have ever made. Thank you for giving the recipe.

Thank you, and you're very welcome, Nframe! That makes my day! :)

****, i so want to make gm salt soap.. like now! i can't however :( the climate is much too humid.. it's rainy season here, bleh :(

I blame you guys.... I've been eying this thread for a while and y'all finally convinced me to try it.. you people are a bad influence :p *scampers off to make a GM salt soap*

****, i so want to make gm salt soap.. like now! i can't however :( the climate is much too humid.. it's rainy season here, bleh :(

Can you explain to a novice why the humidity is a problem?

I live in a humid environment (BC's Sunshine Coast where it is the rainy season too) and the only time I had trouble with sweating was when I used dead sea salt. It never quit crying (water pouring off it)....

While true that this will give you only a 50% milk soap, which still feels quite lovely if you ask me, you can also use the split method to make a 100% milk soap by fortifying your refrigerated or room temp milk with enough powdered milk to increase the milk concentration in order to bring it up to a 100% level for your batch.

Thank you for your explanations, Irish Lass. I am keen to try your method but how much powdered milk do you need to add to "fortify" the milk enough to get 100% concentration of coconut milk? I have some powdered coconut milk but it does not say how much to use. 20g of powder per 100ml of liquid? More or less?

Please let me know when you have a minute. Thanks in advance.

Nicole

Directions: Dissolve Coconut Milk Powder in hot, purified water. The more powder, the richer the milk.
For Desserts: 2/3 cup Coconut Milk Powder with 2/3 cup hot water.
For Cooking: 2/3 cup Coconut Milk Powder with 1/4 cup hot water.
For Beverages: 2/3 cup Coconut Milk Powder with 1 1/4 cup hot water.

Thank you for your explanations, Irish Lass. I am keen to try your method but how much powdered milk do you need to add to "fortify" the milk enough to get 100% concentration of coconut milk? I have some powdered coconut milk but it does not say how much to use. 20g of powder per 100ml of liquid? More or less?

Please let me know when you have a minute. Thanks in advance.

Nicole

Hi Nicole, it may be different for each brand of milk powder, but for what its worth, I use the Chaokoh brand powdered coconut milk from my local Asian market, and according to the package directions, I need to use a ratio of 30g of the powder to 80mL of water (i.e., 1/3 cup in US liquid cup measurements) to reconstitute it to what would equal a full amount of liquid coconut milk.

For the Meyenberg goat milk powder I use, the ratio of powder to water I need to use in order to fully reconstitute it is 28g of powder to 240mL water (i.e., 8 oz. in US liquid cup measurements).

Just use the ratios to adjust up or down as needed for your batch.

HTH!

Latest posts

Back