glycerine

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKristen

Reaction score
I have read in a few posts about adding glycerine to mulitple things for soap making, such as adding it to titanium dioxide before adding to cp. I've been using about a teaspoon of water to my colorants to dissolve and some colorants I have actually say they are for glycerine soap but they work great in my cp. What uses are there for glycerine, what are the benefits and is the glycerine m&p base?

When people say to add colorants or additives to glycerine, they are talking about liquid glycerine, like this http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/can ... CERIN.html

The glycerine just helps disperse the additives better. But using too much glycerine can create soft soap that takes a long time to get hard since glycerine is a humectant and attracts moisture.

Ditto what Genny said.

In CP, there is plenty of glycerin already present in the soap as a natural byproduct of the saponification process (some estimates I've read say 10% to 15% worth of glycerin), but it's perfectly okay to mix a little bit of liquid glycerin with your colorants to diserse them better. I wouldn't go overboard, though. Just enough to get the job done.

Other uses for liquid glycerin:

I sometimes add a little liquid glycerin to my lotions for its humectant properties (about 3% worth), and I recently just learned how to make liquid soap via the 'glycerin method' where the KOH is dissolved into liquid glycerin instead of water. It makes for some really nice liquid soap.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back