Gel or not to Gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperSoaper

Reaction score
I came across terms pertaining to letting the soap gel after pouring, covered well for normal saponification.
Or let it cool without insulation so the soap do not gel.

I welcome all the feedback on this subject. Please share your preferences, likes or dislikes and advantages if any.
Thank you
SuperSoaper

Hi there! Good question - there's been alot of posts on this topic throughout the forum. Generally people are either for, against, or neutral when it comes to gelling vs. not gelling. I've done both - and I'm a fan of gelling. When I use individual molds - my bars never gel, and for an individual shaped bar - I prefer it not to gel... it looks nicer aesthetically for a 'shaped' bar. And for some reason, the texture is more smooth and slick. When I make large batches in a block/slab mold - and cut the brick into smaller bars, I prefer gel... so i insulate to make sure the gel is not partial. From all the people that come from a chemistry background that I've spoken to - gelling seems to allow the soap to saponify quicker and more thoroughly in a shorter time period. But you may find other chemists who say otherwise... I tend to lean towards the former difference of opinion. At the end of the day, whether you gel or not - a well formulated bar of soap that is made correctly, will be a delight after proper curing. So I suppose the best advice I can give you, is to make sure you either fully gel, or prevent it entirely... whilst some people like the half/half look - - - it's seen as less than professional, and people that use your soap will be sure to ask you why the bar looks odd.

Happy soaping!

Here's my take on it. It depends on what kind of finish you want for your soap. Sometimes it will gel no matter what you do. I've found that my soap that doesn't gel has a creamier look to it. If your fragrance oil has a low flash point, you may want to avoid having your soap gel. If I'm using goat milk I often try to avoid gel because I tend to get spots otherwise.

As you make more soap you will find yourself gravitating to a certain method.

Hope this helps a bit.

It's a personal preference. I prefer not to gel. The color comes out lighter and there is a lesser chance that the fragrance will morph.

I'd suggest searching on the topic, but I know the word "gel" is very common and very short so instead I suggest you browse through the forum because this has been discussed a number of times.

I personally gel. One reason is because it is difficult for me to keep the reaction slow enough to avoid it anyway.

whether you gel or not, the reaction is saponification (normal)

Methods Options for no gelling

Thanks savondebilal
What is the most common and best way to not allow the soap to gell?

It seems that working with larger batches poured in a slab mold is harder to cool down even if it sits at room temp with a fan on. According to what you said, it seems to me, Thickness or how fast you are able to cool it down determines if your soap will have the chance of not to gel. Please correct me if my determination is not heading in the right direction.

SuperSoaper

Good question! Sometimes (with bigger slab/block batches) its almost impossible to prevent gel. Sticking it in the freezer helps, but for the large blocks - i always promote gel. The best way to prevent gel is to use individual molds, and if it's a small batch - stick it in the fridge or freezer. I hope that helps!

I love both ways.
They both have their place.
Some soaps look really good after gel. Its almost a little more translucent looking. The cream texture from a non gelled soap looks great too.
The one thing I like about the gel soap is its ease of handling. I find I can cut it earlier.

I let all my soaps go through gel, except milk soaps. I like those to stay as light in color as possible.

Gel or not to gel...

Compliments to you again kelleyaynn....your link covering gelled and un-gelled soap is the best I've ever read along with the rest of the tips on likes and dislikes and your little picture comparisons...great.. :)
Jerry S

Latest posts

Back