Free Windows 10

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a computer nerd so this is likely to be long but I'll try to make it coherent ;-)

I have multiple computers and I've upgraded to 10 on a couple to try it out. So far I'm happy with it, it has a lot of the improvements of 8 (yes there were some) without all the horrible things. A lot of the improvements are under the hood so you might not see them but they make it run smoother/faster/more securely.

That being said the best description of 10 I've seen is that it's basically 7 but polished up with some improvements.

I will answer what I can and hopefully not lead anyone astray!

The Hello feature (which logs in using a 3d print of your face) requires a special (and not widely available yet) camera. There some infrared wizardry going on to make sure it a real face as opposed to a picture. More here… (http://gizmodo.com/your-computer-probably-cant-use-one-of-windows-10s-cool-1721459061)

So, should you upgrade?

You have a year to take advantage of the free upgrade. There’s no rush. As many have said, unless you’re tech savvy and are comfortable ironing out some of the quirks wait at least a month or two before upgrading. I recommend 6 months to most of my non-tech friends.

How new is your computer? Most computers will do ok if you meet the minimum specs, but if you have older peripherals (scanners, printers cameras, etc) you may have issues getting them to play nice with the new system. Again, support may come in time as more companies make compatible drivers.

How is the OS (Operating System) you’re using now? Do you have windows 7 working perfectly? Do you have 8 and hate it? As they say if it ain’t broke… (although I would say that’s a reason not to rush into an upgrade rather than avoid it completely).

Don’t depend on the rollback system! You can roll back to your old OS for a month after installation but don’t depend on it working perfectly, backup your data!

What I’ve seen so far I really like, but I also feel that there are a LOT of privacy issues. This is the age of people not wanting to pay for things so developers are finding inventive ways to make money. There is a saying that if you're not paying for something on the internet then you are what’s being sold (meaning your information or surfing habits are probably being sold to someone).

These privacy issues are only really a problem if you don’t know how to get around them. If you have no concern about any of this you can skip the next part on how to disable all this stuff.

Opt out of info sharing for ads etc More details here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/)

Go to settings in your start menu, click on privacy and go through the 13 different screens to turn off anything you don’t like the sound of

Turn off/don’t use Cortana

Cortana is Microsoft's answer to Siri. She listens for voice commands and will act as a personal assistant for a wide variety of tasks.

If you like her and can’t live without her, more power to you, but by agreeing to Microsoft’s terms of service you give them a LOT of access to your information…

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”
For me, she’s not worth that. So don’t hit agree or, if you already have and want to turn her off, follow the instructions here (http://www.windowscentral.com/how-turn-cortana-and-stop-personal-data-gathering-windows-10) to make her stop stalking you.

Use a local account or set up a second account for Windows.

If you use a windows phone and sync between devices or love the cloud, this might not be for you, but if you don’t use those features, there’s no reason to log in with your outlook/live account and send Microsoft all your data.

Windows Update concerns

Another controversial decision Microsoft made was to make updates mandatory. You cannot turn them off. This is good for security patches, but there are a lot of updates you may not like and now there is no choice but to take them. There is a lot of debate on this and you can look into a little further through Google if you like.

Windows will use your bandwidth to send out updates to other users. This is a file sharing system that has been used all across the internet for many years with other applications. The main issue is that it is on by default and a lot of people won’t know about it or how to turn it off. If you pay for your bandwidth, that’s a big issue. To turn it off, click on 'settings' in your start menu then 'updates and security' then ‘choose how updates are delivered’ then click the slider to off.

Full how to with pics here: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-update-delivery-optimization-feature/

I know this seems really negative but it’s hard to talk about all the good things that outweigh the bad when the good is technical and the bad things are far easier to understand.

When it comes down to it, you will have to upgrade eventually. Windows will stop supporting older operating systems (Vista ends April 11, 2017, Win7 on January 14, 2020 and Win 8 on January 10, 2023) and privacy issues are not going away or getting any more transparent.

I know I sounds a little ambiguous, but it’s hard to give a yes or no when there are so many personal factors involved.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to lend my assistance!

Last edited:
I downloaded and installed Win 10 yesterday on one of my Win 7 computers, only to find the current release of my expensive CAD (computer aided drafting software) won't run on 10. Serious bummer. Everything else is doing okay.

Stuff seems to be moving faster on 10 vs. 7, so that's a plus.

I learned from Win 10 that computers run "apps" now vs. old fashioned "programs". News to me, but then I have a flip phone, so I suppose that impairment limits my exposure to current techno-talk. :think:

DeeAnna - Hopefully this will be the type of thing that gets support as time goes by. Companies just need some time to play catch up. Given how important and expensive CAD software is, I imagine their customer base is letting them know about the issue ;-)

I know nothing about your program or what you've tried, but there is a compatibility mode in Win10 if you're feeling brave. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10436/using-program-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7

The app things still bugs me. Apps run on a phone. My computer runs programs. And don't be ashamed of the flip phone. Anyone I know that has one has never accidentally butt dialed!

Plus remember that the more buzzwords you know is not equal to the knowledge you have. When you can explain something, then you got it going on.

I'll swap tech support for chemistry knowledge with you any day!

"....I'll swap tech support for chemistry knowledge with you any day! ..."

Hey, Stacy ... it's a deal. I used to teach undergrad computer science as well as "normal" science and math, so I am usually pretty comfy around most things computer. But things move pretty fast in the computer world and I can tell my 'puter knowledge is getting dusty and outdated, while basic chemistry and math is still basic chem and math.

"...there is a compatibility mode in Win10..."

Ah! Thanks for the tip about the compatibility setting. I needed to use it for Win 7 years ago, but I've totally forgotten about it over the years. I'll sweep the electronic dust bunnies off that tidbit and try it out. If the compatibility thing works out, I'll let tech support for my CAD software know.

"...When you can explain something, then you got it going on...."

Exactly what I've told my students -- when you can teach someone else what you know, you really know it! :)

Ibut then I have a flip phone, so I suppose that impairment limits my exposure to current techno-talk. :think:

Having a flip phone means never having to say you're sorry for butt dialing anyone. lol ;) I love my flip phone- besides never having butt dialed anyone, it fits very nicely in my pocket or in my purse without taking up much space or causing bulges. Some of the new phones coming out these days are so big they're starting to rival my huge brick-phone from the '90's! lol

Stacy- thanks so much for keeping us abreast of 10. I'll have my hubby check in on this thread when he gets home from work.

IrishLass :)

I don't mind Windows 8 at all, I never used 7 so I guess I don't know the difference. I did very promptly get rid of the stupid Metro interface with Start8 - now I guess that isn't necessary, but I refuse to use that stupid mess. I've got the notice that 10 is ready for downloading, I'm biding my time, though. I don't want to make this into a Mac vs. Windows thing, I'll just say this one thing - Apple is a mega-monopolistic corporation too ;) If you want to play you gotta pay, no matter what platform you choose. Personally I eat apples, not use them. I'll shut up now! :razz:

Well, I ran into my second software compatibility problem with Win 10 today. Even if I ignore the compatibility issues, I have to say I honestly don't see much benefit to upgrading a desktop computer from Win 7 to Win 10. The computer on Win 10 doesn't run any faster (maybe even a wee bit slower, but that might be my imagination) and it doesn't function or look all that much differently. It's the behind-the-scenes stuff built into Win 10 that concerns me.

So I rolled my operating system back to 7 today and plan to stay there for the time being. Supposedly Microsoft is ending support for Win 7 in 2020, but by that time, I'll have another computer anyways, and it's also likely that Microsoft will rolled out an entirely different operating system by then.

If a person has cut teeth on a smart phone and depends on that technology to do a lot of one's thinking and question answering, then maybe having a desktop computer with similar online connectivity would be a nice thing. Me? I just want my desktop computer to do the job I ask it to -- browse the web, get email, deal with spreadsheets, word processing, computer drafting, and photo editing, and the like -- and not much more. I don't want my computer to talk to me and be my "friend", I don't want it to tailor ads and information to what it thinks are my interests, I don't want to store my data out in "the cloud", I don't want outside interests to harvest my personal information any more than they already do, and I don't give a hoot if my computer knows where my location is in the world or not.

I imagine I'm not alone -- I suspect all this connectivity built into Win 10 will be seen by most business IT folks as overly intrusive and unwanted. Most of them are trying to reduce how much access the world has to their business computers, not increase it!

Last edited:
DeeAnna-most of my tech friends are recommending NOT to upgrade, partially because of the "new program=bugs" and mainly due to the privacy issues.

Turning things off is great (like privacy settings), but what's to stop the program from turning them back on again ala Facebook's usual tricks? No thanks.

I'm ok with 7 and even 8 (on a tablet)...10 can wait :)

Now that I've been using 10 for awhile, I really don't see anything that different from 7 either. I was excited for cortana but since I can't use it only my old laptop, its kind of pointless to even have it taking up space. I've also noticed my computer running a bit slower but it does boot up/shut down quite a bit faster.
I think I'm going to roll back to 7 too. I know it and I feel safe with it.

Wow, Stacy, I just can't thank you enough for the tutorial on how to turn off all that extraneous privacy infringing stuff!!! I am not the most computer literate person in the world, and had set aside Sunday to figure all of that out. Now I have the whole day to do what I like! I am thinking some sort of lard soap....:clap:

I use a flip phone also. I use a laptop computer for everything, so I just don't see the need to have all that stuff in your phone. I turn the phone on when I need to make a call, then turn it off again. If you need to reach me, you can leave me a voice mail at home(I do check them every time I return home). I think those smart phones are creating a "great divide" in families with everyone having one in their hand and not actually talking to one another. Not to mention the safety issues of driving and even walking! My hubby does not even have a cell phone.

"... DeeAnna-most of my tech friends are recommending NOT to upgrade, partially because of the "new program=bugs" and mainly due to the privacy issues. Turning things off is great (like privacy settings), but what's to stop the program from turning them back on again ala Facebook's usual tricks? No thanks...."

Yes ... this. I knew you guys' advice going in, but I wanted to see for myself -- it's the engineer in me, I suppose.

Again, if a person has grown up with this type of technology, feels strongly about being connected to social media and "the cloud", and uses the computer mostly for personal affairs, Win 10 might be fine. For business use, Win 10 will have to be locked down in a maximum security mode -- exactly how it is NOT designed to run. And, yes, I can see Microsoft being able to turn settings back on to reduce privacy. Some programs I already use are able to change their settings without my knowledge to automatically check for version updates or to boot up at startup. It is entirely plausible that Win 10 is capable of the same.

For an ancient crone like me who grew up running a slide rule and using DOS (disk operating system in this context, not dreaded orange spots!) and doesn't feel the need to live 24/7 with a smart phone and Facebook within arm's reach, well, Win 10 is not any great shakes.

In a nutshell, Win 10 is everything Win 8 wanted to be and more, but dressed in Win 7's clothes.

"... I think those smart phones are creating a "great divide" in families with everyone having one in their hand and not actually talking to one another...."

Chuck (DH) and I have often wondered why some people go to concerts or out to eat. Too many people at concerts anymore hold their phones up to record the concert and spend the whole time watching their phone screens. Might as well stay home and see it on TV. And we've seen whole families sitting around the restaurant table in utter silence with heads down and noses buried in their text messages or playing their gaming softwa ... uh, apps!

Last edited:
As an update to the privacy stuff, I've read that windows is really bad for turning all that privacy stuff back on after updates...you know the ones you can't opt out of and might not be aware that were installed.

So yeah there is a definite weighing of gains when thinking about upgrading.

I'm a tech nerd, I love it, I think it has amazing possibilities and uses, but I also see that it's not always used for altruistic ends and a lot of bad things are creeping up around it. As a society in general, we seems to be getting more self centered and disconnected. People build a whole online life and totally ignore whats in front of them or are unable to deal with it when they aren't catered to the same way in real life. Businesses have latched on to a whole new way of making people feel inferior by telling them that they need the newest and shiniest technology to keep up with the Joneses. That's in addition to the whitest teeth and the biggest house, the newest car...

There are entire generations now who have learned how to multitask like fiends, but have no idea how to live in the moment.

Having said all that though, it only takes a little time with Google to discover that pretty much every invention that is ubiquitous today was mired in controversy at the start. We'll adapt as we always do and our grand-kids (or great grand-kids for those of you who already there) will be sitting on their holo-porches one day drinking Microsoft™ Water Flavoured Beverages and complaining about these new hover cars and how dangerous they are.

I haven't researched the validity of the quotes on this page, but there is some good stuff there if it's legit: http://www.falstad.com/experts.html

Damp baths are to be eschewed except by the rich, whose diet is more refined and includes hot and dry things like good wines, strong spices, hares, partridges, and pheasants. And this in summer only, for in winter I would advise them to abstain from ordinary baths entirely.
-- Francis Raspard, 1551

One half of the children born die before their eighth year. This is nature's law; why try to contradict it?
-- Rousseau

Video won't be able to hold onto any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.
-- Darryl F. Zanuck, Head of 20th Century-Fox Studios, 1946

X-rays are a hoax.
-- Lord Kelvin, ca. 1900

As an update to the privacy stuff, I've read that windows is really bad for turning all that privacy stuff back on after updates...you know the ones you can't opt out of and might not be aware that were installed.

Privacy is an issue with me, especially when browsing and searching. I don't keep anything on my computer that would be of interest to anyone, so not a big concern. I can wipe a hard drive and reload it with no problem. But... every friggin internet page makes me sign in to use their services (Google (the worst) Youtube, Pinterest, ebay etc) and then everything I do on the internet is based on what page I went to and what I searched for. I use CC cleaner which helps, but when I want to surf with the freedom of anonymity I use TOR. I highly recommended TOR -- Click here if interested.

TOR is great but don't buy into the 'totally anonymous' thing. I'm not well versed in that level of encryption etc, but I've read that there are ways around it. You know, if you're running a drug cartel or something. :lol: Plus usually it's a human error when these things go wrong and people are tracked, that's how The Silk Road was brought down. If you're going to truly be anonymous and untraceable it's a LOT of work.

If anyone else is looking for options and isn't up to jumping into TOR (there are some restrictions like I think it wont play flash because it's impossible to secure), there are some good add-ons that help reduce your footprint, I use Firefox so I'm only familiar with those add-ons but I'm sure there's something similar if you break out your goole-fu. The first is Self-Destructing Cookies. Basically unless I white-list a site, any cookies are destroyed when I leave a site or end close my browser. I use it along with no-script and ad blocker and I only see what I want about 95% of the time. I hope that I'm tracked a minimal amount as well but honestly I'm not positive.

The thing is that there is a learning curve to everything, even the add-ons have to be configured as you surf and you need to turn them off at times to get a page to display sometimes.

thanks Stacy, I also use FF with no script and AD block. Tor is a free software and nothing free is good on internet. Nothing free is good at all. I use PIA and I am happy with it. CCcleaner occasionally . Stacy I ordered the W10 when it showed the notification. Right now I do not want to upgrade and it is showing 'shut down' all the time on start menu. Is there some way around it without taking off shut down option?

I'm being really wishy-washy on 10. I downloaded it, then went back to 7 fairly quickly because I really didn't see much difference and I dislike the tiles "apps" Makes my computer feel like a giant smart phone.

Well, now I'm downloading 10 again. Even though I'm not crazy about the imagery it has, it was a bit faster and I somehow feel that upgrading my older laptop will maybe help it not feel so old lol.

Tor is a free software and nothing free is good on internet.

I wouldn't totally agree with this. From what I understand TOR is run by a group of people who are very dedicated to the idea of keeping the internet out of the hands of big business. There are a lot of groups with similar ideology (Firefox is one from what I understand. I do agree that you have to keep your eyes open and double so if you're getting something for nothing!

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking about the shutdown issue. Is the icon in the left tray by the clock? Or are you seeing a 'shut down to finish the upgrade' screen?

If you have no interest in upgrading, you can remove the offer by removing the windows update it came in.

1- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates.
2- Do a search for KB3035583, double-click it, and then click Yes, to uninstall the update.
3- Reboot your computer, and you'll be good to go.

More info here: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-get-windows-10-app-pc

the icon but when you click start manu , it seems that it want to finish update/upgrade, I had not started. I am on W7. Ultimate. You are awesome thank you so much :))
I am uninstalling it now. Thank you Stacy, it is a first time a lady helped me out, I think I am going to keep my windows 7. Maybe in a year or so I will upgrade. Thank you again:))
reporting; the shut down is not longer there, thank you so much:))

Last edited:
I'm being really wishy-washy on 10. I downloaded it, then went back to 7 fairly quickly because I really didn't see much difference and I dislike the tiles "apps" Makes my computer feel like a giant smart phone.

Well, now I'm downloading 10 again. Even though I'm not crazy about the imagery it has, it was a bit faster and I somehow feel that upgrading my older laptop will maybe help it not feel so old lol.

I do like that 10 is much faster than 7 -- it is especially noticeable when I turn it on or bring it out of sleep mode. I'm hesitant to like that part because a bunch of "updates" and the speed is destroyed. I got my first "update" this morning but all is still good with the speed.

Back