Food Shaped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelMomma

Reaction score
I have seen soaps come in many shapes. Geometric, Floral, Animal, Inanimate objects and etc. But when I joined SMF I saw a few cupcake shaped soaps and maybe some citrus or watermelon shaped MP as well. Now on Facebook there seems to be an explosion(maybe I just didn't see them before) of FOOD shaped soaps. Frosted cake squares. Slices of Frosted Layer cakes. Slices of Layered & Piped Pie. And now today I even saw cookies......Chocolate Chip Cookies........perfectly formed! They seriously looked like the real thing. What gives! Do people really want to wash themselves with pieces of food?? Or is this just a soapers fad that is running its course, with one soaper after another trying to master making their soap look more realistic than the last. I think it certainly takes skill to make these soaps that look SO realistic! I don't sell my soaps, but can't imagine a customer specifically asking for that kind of shape. I guess I just don't get the appeal. I am curious to read the viewpoint of those that do make food shaped soaps.

I haven't made food-shaped soap either but have received a few in swaps. I got one that looked exactly like a thick fudge brownie, one that looked like a piece of cake, etc... I can see the novelty in that and people thinking it's pretty cool. Personally, soaps with shapes other than round or rectangular don't feel good in my hand and are difficult for me to use so I wonder how does one wash with a cupcake soap? I think many of them are beautiful but for practicality, the standard shapes do it for me.

For the record, I should also say that food scents aren't my scents of choice for washing. Like washing in cake batter or pie, it's not for me.

However, I bet those cupcake soaps and other look-a-like soaps sell well.

Lol, there are a few(FEW) food scents that I do enjoy. Like coconut and a good coffee soap.....lemon and orange I guess could be considered food scent. But I just can't picture me washing in the shower with a slice of cake, or a cookie. Although my girls were gifted some popsicle shaped soap on a stick that they did thoroughly enjoy.

I agree with newbie...the logistics of washing with food shape soaps just doesn't appeal to me. The cupcake soaps are meant to be cut in half. I think the appeal is visual.
I have made some cupcake soaps...but only for the challenge. My father was a baker. (passed in 2003). I spent years by the kitchen table watching him make his masterpieces..when my teenage daughter said "you can't do that"...I said, "watch me, your grandfather was a baker"....To my surprise, I DID IT!!
That being said, I just bought some FO from WSP called "pumpkin crunch"(or something similar). I am trying to figure out what to do with it. My second soap was a soap that I made with pumpkin puree...I did it in a cardboard box mold. Now, I am thinking something more creative.
So in addition to the visual appeal...maybe it is just soapers trying to unleash their creativity? BTW...bacon soap?

Oh I saw one of those on fb today, complete with a Bacon FO. They had gotten an order fo that exact soap. But I think they had said that it was ordered so the person could give it out as gag gifts.

Last edited:
The bacon FO seems pretty popular but mainly as a joke/novelty/gag gift type thing. If someone truly likes washing with that FO, I hope they will correct me.

I can certainly see trying to recreate things like brownies, cookies, cupcakes etc... for the challenge. One can only swirl so much before a new challenge is a must.

I bet your grandfather was/would be proud of your cupcaking skills right off the bat, Jean! Chip off the old block.

Lots of people like spicy pumpkin soaps around the holidays. If people want it, I'd make it but wouldn't keep a bar back for myself. Someone said men rate pumpkin scents as highly sexy/attractive. I have no idea who did that study or who they polled.

Personally, soaps with shapes other than round or rectangular don't feel good in my hand and are difficult for me to use so I wonder how does one wash with a cupcake soap? I think many of them are beautiful but for practicality, the standard shapes do it for me.

For the record, I should also say that food scents aren't my scents of choice for washing. Like washing in cake batter or pie, it's not for me.

However, I bet those cupcake soaps and other look-a-like soaps sell well.

I make cupcake soaps and you just cut it in half which gives you a flat surface to wash with, most people don't use them though, they are just novelty value and I make mine with anything but bakery scents.

I appreciate the skill that comes with making "soap in the shape of ..." but I prefer my soaps to look like soap. I don't even do a lot of swirls. I love the usefullness of soap and want people to use them, not look at them.

I am a very visual person as well as having come through many of the "craft" trends that have been arround. I do have an admiration for those cute and crafty soaps. Must take a lot of talent and practice! But I have NO inclination to make (or even own!) these soaps. I guess my "practical" side is way too strong. I want my soap to be enjoyed for how one's skin feels after using it. I even get frustrated when someone tells me they use my soap to scent their clothing drawer. NO! NO! DON'T TELL ME THAT! I can't stand it!

Angelmomma are you inthe soaping 101 fb group? If so I know what cookie you are referencing! It was beautiful! I love baked good scented soap. I can't wait to make pumpkin soap with puree and pumpkin apple strudel FO! I like looking at people's cake soaps, but would have a hard time using it!

I am a very visual person as well as having come through many of the "craft" trends that have been arround. I do have an admiration for those cute and crafty soaps. Must take a lot of talent and practice! But I have NO inclination to make (or even own!) these soaps. I guess my "practical" side is way too strong. I want my soap to be enjoyed for how one's skin feels after using it. I even get frustrated when someone tells me they use my soap to scent their clothing drawer. NO! NO! DON'T TELL ME THAT! I can't stand it!

I have so much soap now that I do store it in my drawers and my car to enjoy the scent while it cures. Nothing better than opening your car on a hot day and getting a whiff!

Not sure if I would ever venture into making a food shaped soap. But cupcakes are such a hot commodity that I can see why people would buy cupcake soap. If I made/bought one it would stay in my kitchen in a pretty soap dish put out only when guest were over. Can't see using one in the shower, especially with the sprinkles, etc on it.
I have some of my soaps in a drawer but only because I did a cedar/orange EO blend and all you can smell is the cedar in my flower shaped soap. So they are being used in drawers and closets since I didn't feel like rebatching to fix the scent :)

Chocolate Chip Soap Cookie

Angelmomma are you inthe soaping 101 fb group? If so I know what cookie you are referencing! It was beautiful! I love baked good scented soap. I can't wait to make pumpkin soap with puree and pumpkin apple strudel FO! I like looking at people's cake soaps, but would have a hard time using it!

Yes, weren't those cookies just perfect?! Amazing talent and dedication. Anyone who makes cupcakes, cakes or cookies etc has to be talented and dedicated to the desired form. When making a loaf of soap you have ideas of what you want it to look like in the end. But if a little snag or roadblock comes up.....well you can just improvise and go with what the soap wants to be. It all works out in the end. When making food shaped soaps I imagine there is not much room for improvisation. It takes as much talent or more, than making the real thing. And making the real thing certainly is a lot of work! For 20 years I have been a baker, part by trade and now just to please family and friends.

Great! Now I want some cake! :shock: Lol!

I make cupcake soaps, they are not my favorite thing to make since I am not very patient, and worse yet like Relle9 said, most people don't want to use them. I have some special orders just for the cupcakes, and I always bring them to farmers markets and crafts fairs because they are a great conversation starter. My other soaps are on the boring side, a little color, once in awhile a swirl, and shapes are mostly rectangle, square, or round.

I appreciate the skill that comes with making "soap in the shape of ..." but I prefer my soaps to look like soap. I don't even do a lot of swirls. I love the usefullness of soap and want people to use them, not look at them.

My same exact feelings. I follow the "function over form" philosophy. I will never openly criticize any soapmaker on what she or he makes. If they are artistic - that is absolutely wonderful, I wish I was - but making soap look like food items can lead to serious trouble. Over the years I have read on this forum and others of customers taking bites out of the soap thinking it was the real food thing. This happens a lot with children. I can't think of a better reason of why soapmakers and candle makers creating artistic products resembling food should have mega product liability insurance. Please keep this in mind. Don't asume people know the difference even if you have a neon sign ablaze with the words THIS IS SOAP. Literate adults do stupid things while children do what children do best when presented with items looking like cookies and cakes.

On the opposite side of the coin imagine how people would react to a food item looking like a bar of soap! "No, it's real meatloaf not a bar of soap. Taste it! Oh, why not?" :shock:

I think most soapers do have insurance and put warnings on food shaped soaps. I have read a lot of posts that talk about the issue.

I make cupcake soaps and you just cut it in half which gives you a flat surface to wash with, most people don't use them though, they are just novelty value and I make mine with anything but bakery scents.

I think I have seen pictures of yours before.....on a Christmas display? Those were beautiful.

Maybe the way for me to understand would be just to make some and see how I feel about it then......hahaha :lol: After all its all soapy fun. That is part of why I love it so much. Everyone does it different. In my eyes its all art.

I think most soapers do have insurance and put warnings on food shaped soaps. I have read a lot of posts that talk about the issue.

And even then, what's the worse that could happen.
Children should be taught not to take/eat things out of stores without permission and parents should keep an eye on them to make sure they don't break the merchandise.
If not, they'll end up with a bad taste in their mouth
11qmi6t.gif

Last edited:
Back